• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Andromeda Galaxy from Riberac

Started by MarkS, Aug 23, 2010, 23:16:45

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Finally processed it!  This time with no Perseid.

Data taken over 3 nights:  6, 9 & 10 August
55 x 5 min exposures
Usual setup:  H-alpha modified Canon EOS 350D on Banana Scope (Tak Epsilon 180ED at F2.8 ).  IR/UV filter only.

Large version here (full size but slightly cropped):
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/m31_10082010.jpg

I would need to go to a very dark site in order to improve upon this.  However, I might shoot some H-alpha data for it at some stage ...

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Very nice, if a little blue, just a little.

You need a Takahashi 125mm F2.8 to fit it on the chip :-)  M31 is massive!

Chris

MarkS

Yes - M31 is huge - I didn't quite realise how big it is.

You're right - it's far too blue.  Try this one instead:

Large version: http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/m31_10082010v2.jpg

Mark

Mac

looking good,
Just counting down the days untill i restart.

Rocket Pooch

RobertM

A really impressive result that - there's really no stopping you now is there ;-)

Colour wise I'd suggest you do a G2V calibration to get it right though I think somewhere between the two you posted would be be my personal choice.

I did some tests on the size of this last year and it's a real squeeze with 400mm fl and an APS chip.  I think 300mm is probably ideal but my attempt will probably be at 200mm.

Robert

Fay

Mark that is really great. I want to do this again in France, as I have only done an 8x300!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

G2V thats ok if you can spot one!!!

The Thing

Amazing detail on the big version.

What is the glow top right? It looks like nebulosity but I can't find anything around there in planetaria.

MarkS

Quote from: Duncan
What is the glow top right? It looks like nebulosity but I can't find anything around there in planetaria.

It's from a very bright bluish star (you can see it it the image of Andromeda and the Perseid).  I cropped the image to cut the star from the final picture but some of the bluish light remains.  Leaving such a bright star visible at the edge of the image was just too distracting.

Mark

The Thing

Nu And/35 And B2V. Thanks Mark.

MarkS

Duncan,

You've changed your name and your avatar!

Mark

The Thing

It's 'cos I've discovered my true identity :-) and also to celebrate my impending notoriety as the February pin-up of the next calendar. If the editorial staff approve of course. Your pic scaled down looks excellent.

Mike

Quote from: The Thing on Aug 27, 2010, 18:12:18
It's 'cos I've discovered my true identity :-) and also to celebrate my impending notoriety as the February pin-up of the next calendar. If the editorial staff approve of course. Your pic scaled down looks excellent.

Oh dear. You've let everyone know a potential Calendar page. We'll just have to cancel that one and choose something else ;)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

I wouldn't want the paparazzi attention anyway. 8)