• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Sh2-155 The Cave Nebula and surroundings

Started by MarkS, Aug 18, 2010, 00:41:39

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Sh2-155 in Cepheus is probably the most challenging target I've tackled so far and I'm very pleased with the result.  
Taken in Riberac over 2 evenings (5 & 12 August).

The usual setup: H-alpha modified Canon 350D on Banana Scope (Tak Epsilon 180ED) with only an IR/UV filter.

65 x 5 minute exposures at ISO 800

Larger version here (scaled by 2/3):
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/cave12082010v2.jpg

It's a very interesting area of the sky with colourful stars, emission nebulae, reflection nebulae and some dark "blobs"

Enjoy!

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Thats colourfull very nice, just think of what you could get with a good scope  :o

Why is the star in the bottom right over spiky?

Chris

MarkS

Quote from: Not Space Dog anymore
Why is the star in the bottom right over spiky?

I get this problem with stars at the bottom of all my images.  I'm pretty certain it is the DSLR's mirror - even though it flips up and tucks away when taking an exposure, it is still jutting slightly into the light path of the bottom pixels of the CCD when used at F2.8 on the scope.  It also causes severe vignetting (which the flats take care of).  I am seriously considering removing the mirror entirely but then I lose the convenience of the viewfinder.

I also get the same "surplus diffraction spikes" problem to a lesser extent with stars near the left and right edges - again due to the camera design obstructing the light path at F2.8 - again causing vignetting.  Stars near the corners get two sets of surplus spikes!

It's not a problem with camera lenses because, for a lens, the light cone finally emerges from a smaller area and closer to the CCD.

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Fay

Very nice indeed Mark, we will never catch up with you now!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

That's really lovely Mark, the linked image really shows the quality.  It also looks like you really did your homework in choosing a target.

I certainly think it's one of your best images to date.

Robert

Fay

I agree with Robert, the large image is wonderful
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

I wonder if careful use of a black marker on the edge of mirror might sort that spikyness out?

Rocket Pooch

What in the camera?  I'd flock the inside.

I can hear Mark thinking now :-)

MarkS

Quote from: Ian
I wonder if careful use of a black marker on the edge of mirror might sort that spikyness out?

Quote from: Not Space Dog anymore
I'd flock the inside.
I can hear Mark thinking now :-)

I think the problem is that any straight edge interrupting the light cone causes a diffraction spike.  Nothing to do with internal reflections.

Mark

RobertM

I'd tend to agree, exactly the same thing happens with straight diaphragm blades when a lens is stopped down.

Ian

so not so much flocking as perhaps fur lining? You could use a tasteful leopard print.

MarkS

I've done a complete re-process of this and I'm happier with the result.

Here's a cropped half-size version:

Full version here:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2010/cave12082010v4.jpg

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Well its still a nice image :-) and you seemed to have removed some of the gradient on the bottom.

Daniel

Fantastic Image Mark, star colours are incredible and those whisps of dark nebulosity really jump out of the background.

That new scope is really working out for you

Daniel
:O)

mickw

First version was great

Your reprocess is excellent - APOD - Do it !
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional