• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

EOS450d

Started by Rocket Pooch, Aug 16, 2010, 08:40:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Does anyone know if the 450d support long exposure control through the canon software provided and the USB port?

Chris

mickw

I believe the Canon software only goes up to 30 seconds.

Carole uses a 450 and a long exposure adapter
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

Chris,

You can do the following with the supplied software and a tethered 450d:

1) Exposure time up from 0s to 99mins 59sec
2) Set delay before start up from 5s to 99min 99sec
3) Use the interval timer (interval from 5s to 99min 99sec)
4) Number of shots (min 2)
5) ISO setting

All this is exactly what's on the Canon dedicated (or third party) interval timers.

Note: Power saving modes for PC and Camera should both be off.

I've no idea why Carole uses a long exposure adaptor other than that her software needs it.  Mine works using the method above, I find it more convenient to use MaximDL but they both do exactly the same job through the usb cable.

Robert

MarkS

For completeness, this is not true of the 300D, 350D and 400D - they will only give exposures up to 30 seconds via the USB link even with the Canon supplied software.

Astro-software gets around this by requiring a separate remote control lead (from the serial or USB ports) to give arbitrary length exposures.

As Robert says, the 450D and later cameras do not require the separate remote control lead.

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I plumped for the 1000D until I get a job then I'll get a 50D, I just need to get used to it for wide angle now :-)

Chris