• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pier installation

Started by PhilB, Aug 10, 2010, 09:02:17

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilB

Having hauled my prize home, I thought it would be good to bolt it to the planet. This involved much digging, concrete mixing, huffing and puffing, most of it under a hot sun. Here, in the sunshine, is the result:

Naturally, it is now overcast, raining and the road ouside is a river......
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rocket Pooch

At least I know it has gone to a good home  :baa:

Ian

A good home next to a Leylandii hedge?

I assume it's yours and low Phil :)

PhilB

Yup, it's mine :oops:

It was put there to screen several security lights.  The nice feature with this is, as it's mine, it can be any height or shape that I feel is necessary  :evil:
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mike

Security lights should not be shining onto your property That is illegal. Have a chat with the owner of them and if that does not work write to the council. They are legally obliged to turn them off, remove them or reposition them.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

PhilB

I know the law has changed, Mike, but I didn't think it was either tested or retrospective. Are you saying that I am now legally entitled to have all of six or so lights that currently plague me repositioned, including the "I'm doing you a favour" PIR controlled piece of s$%$ that comes on every time I walk down my own garden?

Mike

Yes you are. You have to 'ask him nicely' to turn them off or move them so the beam does not encroach your property. if he says no or fails to do anything, then you have legal recourse to report it and get the council to make him move or remove them.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

PhilB

Interesting. Thanks, Mike.

Rocket Pooch

Phil,

I did it with the GYM at the back of my garden they had to change the bulbs and put shields on the lights.

Chris

PhilB

Trouble with my local council is that they have a habit of sending letter after letter and then, when the chips are finally down, they back away and do nothing. I'm going to check it through though, you never know, they might just deliver on this one.

Rocket Pooch

Mine was Greenwich, but I took the matter up with the company and not the council.

PhilB

My problem involves private individuals some of whom I've already approached. From their response it's clear that they think I'm a crackpot.... :roll:

Mike

If they refuse to do anything then contact the council and say so. They are legally obliged to move them and the council is legally obliged to act.

mickw

Just curious...............

Is it the light "beam" striking your property or overall lighting overspill that is illegal
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Any light spilling onto your property is deemed pollution and you can request it's removal. Obviously, the more light there is and the more direct it is the more likely the council will/should act speedily(ish).

PhilB

Mike, I don't suppose that this extends to sky beams?

Mike

Not sure about that but I think there are regulations for lights that point into the sky.

Fay

Phil I had trouble with two houses over the back, their security light. The council sent me some guidance leaflets & I took them round to them.

The bulbs should not be over a certain power & they should be directed downwards.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Fay,

You should think about moving to the middle of a field, with all the bloody problems you are having with your neighbours, I think that will be the safest place for you. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Letter number 2 went in last week....

PhilB

Thanks, Fay, I shall be talking to the Council shortly.

Investigation into sky beams suggests that these are viewed by the authorities as advertisements. This being the case it seems that they need a licence to operate and can be shut down if they don't have one.

Tony's idea about a field is actually something that I've seriously considered in the past. Anyone fancy chipping in?

Fay

We may buy a field & go down there & can't get in because a lot of caravans have already taken all the spaces :cry:   

Tony G

Quote from: Fay on Aug 21, 2010, 09:28:12
We may buy a field & go down there & can't get in because a lot of caravans have already taken all the spaces :cry:   

Then, we purchase a field without any amenities, any out of the way, which should deter caravans getting to the field.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Oh no, back to buckets!!!!!

Mike

Or put a gate on it.   :roll:

Fay

Mike

Depends on how sturdy your gate is and how well you rig it up to the mains ;)

mickw

Shouldn't over complicate the issue........................

A simple sign hanging on the gate should do the trick  ;)

Ian

mickw

Would that be to make the pikeys <ex.del.> themselves ?

arbitrary moderating decision there, Ian

Ian

will hopefully, but not quite like that.

mickw

PhilB

Yup, I think that's covered one of the problems with land ownership. The best defence is to dig a ditch and bank up the boundary, then install a decent gate. This won't keep a determined intruder out of course but it's like keeping thieves out of your car; in short you can't. The trick is to make the vehicle standing next to yours look more attractive.

Tony G

Quote from: PhilB on Aug 21, 2010, 22:31:23
The trick is to make the vehicle standing next to yours look more attractive.

I use to own a MkIII Cortina, Mabel was her name, which was mostly green, with a black vinyl roof, and rust coloured wheel arches, and whatever car that was parked next to, no matter what the condition of the other car, it would always make the other car attractive. :(

Tony G

Fay

PhilB

:P :P

You've got the nack there, Tony

The Thing

Can you stand next to me at DSC next time Tony... :twisted: ;)

Ian

Duncan, I'm very concerned for you if you keep getting broken into...

Fay

Very very funny Duncan & Ian  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: