• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

New Virus

Started by Tony G, Aug 04, 2010, 23:27:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone can help, Flis has a Dell Notebook which this evening picked up a bloody annoying fake security tool, which does not allow you to do anything on your computer, as an error message usually pops up stating that the file trying to open, whichever program you are trying to open it with, is corrupt, and if you scan the computer with their software it will repair it..........after paying.
The tool is called Antivir Solutions, :evil: and reading up it seems a real pain to get rid of, and would be even harder for someone like me, who knows nothing about computers except that you can get bloody anything on eBay, which you accessed from a computer.
So, what I'm asking is, 'is there anyone that can help me get rid of this, without talking computer on the forum, to someone that doesn't understand it'.

Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Until the clever blokes chip in you could try Malwarebytes which someone posted previously.
The free version works quite well

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

First of all i would goto www.sysinternals.com and download autoruns.
then download a free antivirus if you dont have one. avast is a good one.
Then boot your pc into safe mode, by pressing F8 and selecting safemode
run the autoruns and goto the logon tab and uncheck the software if you can see it.
Then run the antivirus, see how you get on with that first.

Mac

Tony G

Mac,

This *&^k*ng thing doesn't allow you to access the internet to download any antivirus as it throws up a command box saying that the program trying to open the internet is corrupt please use our *&^k*ng software to clear this problem (in so many words) but it will cost you loads of $
I have Mcaffee, and nothing is showing up on that, and that is saying everything is OK.

BUT IT AIN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony G

PS.....................Mac, you done that thing, and started talking about F8, logon tab and autoruns, and my head has just :boom: have you moved yet.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

Quotehave you moved yet.
TOMORROW  :cheesy:

ok,

boot into safe mode.
press that F8 button thingy
goto to your start menu and click the run...
type in msconfig
goto the startup tab and UNTICK EVERYTHING.

reboot the pc.
when you click on your name to logon press and hold the shift key untill you see the welcome screen.

see if you can now logon to the internet,
If not bring it to DSC and hopefully i'll be there on saturday just for the day, ill take a look.

Mac.

Mac

Failing that, get a nice piece of Hickory, or a bit of 4x2, a quick blow, just across the middle of the screen will
probably fix it. ;)

Fay

Tony try and get a grip!!!!!!!!!!!You are near to explosion point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(hope this advice from a calm, patient member of the society, will help ;)
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Kill it - You know you want to  :twisted:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

QuoteKill it - You know you want to

Now don't start, you know Carole doesn't like things being killed.
Not that it would ever stop me. :twisted:

On a side thought, how were you planning to kill it.
I quite like the idea of placing it in a clay pigeon launcher and shouting Pull.

Mac.

Mike

If you still have those messages after doing an F8 restart then it is pretty serious. However, there are some nice (and not very well documented) command line entries you can make for reflashing the boot sector (which is more than likely where it is sitting).
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Perhaps someone can help if you bring it along to uDSC, when you visit

Mike

I'll bring an axe.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

Quote from: Mike on Aug 05, 2010, 15:09:02
If you still have those messages after doing an F8 restart then it is pretty serious. However, there are some nice (and not very well documented) command line entries you can make for reflashing the boot sector (which is more than likely where it is sitting).

Mike,

I'm a carpenter by trade. What you have said causes  :undecided: :boom:

Quote from: Mac on Aug 05, 2010, 10:51:23
Failing that, get a nice piece of Hickory, or a bit of 4x2, a quick blow, just across the middle of the screen will
probably fix it. ;)

Tried that and still I cannot get onto eBay, saying that, I cannot get onto anything. I think this has really taken hold of the notebook, or I hit it a bit to hard. :roll:

Tony G

Mac

i would refrain from using it until its removed

Fay

Tony's gonna need some councilling!!!!!!!! :o