• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Newer generations of EOS Cameras

Started by Rocket Pooch, Jul 18, 2010, 11:40:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Now I've been looking around for a new EOS I've kinda decided to look at the 1000d, 50d and 550d.  So thats basic, mid and semi pro camera's.

I want a camera for photography and not astronomy, however if I have a newer one I will use it piggy backed at the same time as the QSI.

Anyway, I found this, its a set of images from an unmodded 1000d, these cameras cost £295 approx

http://www.veryamateur.co.uk/

The thing that gets me with the images here, its un-modded and had the standard filter, yet you can see of the Ha regions?  I wonder if the filters have changed as well?

Also I have checked a few reviews of the newer CMOS chips in the 1000d and 50d, the 50d at 15mpix is the most sensitive ccd canon have produced also it seems they have really thought about the linearity of the chips and it now seems 10-20 minute subs are possible with as many issues with the older chips, with amp glow gone, live view on all of these models and high speed download, 14bit RAS on some models it now seems the later cameras really are quite cool now for astro photography.

Chris

MarkS

In my experience the internal filter cuts out about 75% of the Ha going to the CCD so it is still possible to image Ha regions - I used to do so before I modded my first camera.  I suppose it is possible that there is a slightly different cutoff in newer models.

All those cameras you mentioned have good reports but, for astrophotography, I'm still prejudiced against tiny pixels - I would like to see some hard data before replacing my 350D.  14bits would certainly make a useful difference though.

Mark