• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

uDSC August - Friday 6th to Monday 9th

Started by Mike, Jul 12, 2010, 18:41:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

The best weekend in August for a uDSC is the weekend of the 7th and 8th as it is the closest to the new moon.

Is everybody OK with that date?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

The question should be, is the Mrs OK with that date. I have no other plans but I bet she does!

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

The Thing

He he he. I can come! Got some farm fresh cherries and strawbs on the way home, sweetened her up a treat. See you there guys.

Mike

OK shall I book this date with Rother Valley ?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Don't want to put a spanner in the works but 6.8.2010 is on the calendar as an imaging session.  
Personally I think DSC/UDSC is an excellent imaging session, but just thought I'd point this out in case you think it's a problem.  

Alternatively could make UDSC Saturday to Monday.  

Still recovering from the exhaustion of all the packing and unpacking from the weekend (not so young as you guys), so will make a decision nearer the time.  

Carole

The Thing

Is Mick going to bring his air rifle, there were loads of bunnies this morning.

Mike

Quote from: Carole on Jul 12, 2010, 22:09:07
Don't want to put a spanner in the works but 6.8.2010 is on the calendar as an imaging session.  

Well quite a few of the people at Imaging Sessions would not attend a uDSC anyway. The other weekends in August are no good due to the moon so this is our best bet. I would just have to either drive down Saturday morning or get down to the field early, set-up and drive back with a view to getting back late the same night and parking in the pub car park.

Unless there are any objections I will book this weekend with Jackie at Rother Valley.

The Thing

Those who would not image at Mikes anyway could have an 'imaging' session at the Coach and Horses, or if they want to be technical, drive down to Rother Valley for the evening where there will be plenty of kit to look at and people to ask questions of.

mickw

QuoteIs Mick going to bring his air rifle, there were loads of bunnies

It would be rude not to  8)

Also not forgetting the woodys, and that irritating twittering bird could do with taking out  :twisted:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

julian

Can't make August uDSC as I'm away for three weekends :cry:
But I'm away on holiday ;)

Carole

Personally I don't think it is fair on Mike to have to drive back and forth so as to be at home for the imaging session.  Can we not just announce that it is cancelled/transferred to Rother Valley, and make contact with any-one who is not at the meeting who normally comes to an imaging session.

On a different note, I hope all this talk about shooting animals is a joke as I am am animal lover and will not tolerate animals being killed for the fun of it.

Carole

Mac

QuoteI hope all this talk about shooting animals is a joke as I am am animal lover and will not tolerate animals being killed for the fun of it.

Im sure its not just for fun, there is probably some element of sportsmanship in there. ;)

light blue touch paper and retire.

Rocket Pooch

I hope you are a vegitarian as well?

Carol, there is nothing wrong with shooting animals with an air rifle as long as you eat them.  Personally I found squrrel and rabbit ok, the mud wrapped hedgehogg we cooked up about 25 years ago was pushing it a bit, but hey that was a survival course.

Guys do you want me to bring the guns down, I only have two now.

Chris

P.S. I won't bring Frodo he has already had a deer and rabbit this year, I would not like to upset anyone bringing him along as well.

P.P.S. Bugger looks like the chairperson will not let us make explosives either :-(

P.P.P.S. Ban cats they really like killing for fun.