• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Part of The Veil in Cygnus/ first light Leitz APO 180@ F3.4

Started by Fay, Jul 07, 2010, 22:03:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

this was 14x480, which is not nearly enough. Could have done with double the exposures. Atik 314L, Ha, Leitz 180 APO F3.4, flats, 030710. I was not prepared to stay up all night, but wanted to see the fov etc.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

I've had it a while, Mike, but has taken time to get correct adaptors and fixtures for the Atik/filter wheel & Canon.

Mac

MarkS

That's looking very good Fay. 

All the stars are round so it looks like you've sorted out your CCD spacing problems.

Mark

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Very nice Fay, I shows what can be achieved with a fine lens.  It will be even better once you get those filters sorted ... dig dig...

Robert

Fay

Thanks, well I was not going to put it on but I thought I should post it, as we have had a severe shortage lately.
I think it needed 5-10 min exposures & at least 20 of them

MarkS

It's great fun imaging at a fast F-ratio isn't it  :-)

Fay

well, I did not think i would be thinking of 5 min exposures, Mark, i thought I would be able to do around 2-3. What do you think? Although the sky was not that dark

MarkS

It doesn't suprise me that you need a long exposure - the Ha in the Veil is surprisingly faint.

Mac

Rocket Pooch

Hi Fay,

FOV is great on this one and everything looks ok as well, I think the data is all there can you measure the ADU of the background (move the mouse over it in AA or Maxim and you will see the number on the screen somewhere), then the nebula and the background/darkest part.

It might be that all you need to do is a DDP or Sigma scaling on it to get the detail out.

Look cool though.

Fay

Thanks for that. Yes Canon is modified Mac. Have had a little go with it. Took a few subs of North America & Pelican, to see fov.

Chris I stacked in AA & used DD in it. But need to practice it Maxim

RobertM

QuoteI think it needed 5-10 min exposures & at least 20 of them

The longer the better, try fewer 20 min subs.

Robert

Rocket Pooch

Thats not technically true Robert, if you expose so long the image is saturated its not going to make it any better is it?

:-)

RobertM