• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC 7000 at uDSC with banana scope

Started by MarkS, Jun 06, 2010, 15:08:16

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

NGC 7000 taken at Rother Valley Campsite on Fri 4 June with the banana scope.

22 x 5min exposures.  H-alpha modified Canon EOS 350D on Takahashi Epsilon 180ED at F2.8 with Astronomik CLS filter.

I'm still suffering some combination of mis-collimation or camera tilt so the stars on the left hand side are more blurry than they ought to be.  But in case you're interested, the full version, warts and all is here:
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/ngc7000_04062010.jpg

Mark

Carole

Tony G

Great Image Mark, and there doesn't seem to be much difference on the left hand side.
To self-critical  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Quote from: Tony G
there doesn't seem to be much difference on the left hand side.

That's because I meant to say it's the stars at the top of the image that have the problems. 
I was mixing it in my head up with a different image.

Tony G

And there was me thinking, that I had finally nailed it, and could see the imperfections that experienced imagers were talking about when they were talking about field flatness, bloated stars, etc.
Now I'll have to start again.  :-?

Thanks Mark.  :(

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

RobertM

That's very nice Mark, I especially like the star colours you manage to produce.

Robert

MarkS

Whitters

Colours in the stars are beautiful. Lovely image Mark.

Carole

I like the rework much better.  Colours are brighter.

Carole

PhilB

The rework lifts the image a lot, Mark. I like it.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mike

Great image Mark. Was worth all the effort.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi Mark,

The second one definately, the only possible thing though if the black areas, I don't think there is any black in that area at all, more like light red as a background.  But thats being picky, the banascope is really working well :-)

Chris

RobertM

That's much better, now I can see the oil slick  :o

As Chris has already mentioned, I also think you could reduce the black point a bit more.

Yes it's being a bit picky but being a masochist astrophotographer, I think you want people to be like that.

Mac

Love the full image.
The detail is amazing.

I thought the stacking that you use gets rid of things like satellites ect.
so is the line through the Black bit. an artefact of a satellite or something else?

Mac.

MarkS

I didn't use a strong enough parameter in the sigma stacking to remove the satellite trail completely - I will do that for the very final version.   There are also some remaining artifacts from hot pixels - I need to add them to my map of hot pixels used in the pre-processing stage.

Chris, Robert - I'll also try playing with the black point - thanks for the suggestion.

It will soon be ready to submit to the ROG Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2010  competition ;-)

Mac

QuoteIt will soon be ready to submit to the ROG Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2010  competition

Better clear a space in your trophy cupboard.  ;)

A sure winner.

RobertM

Good luck !  I'll have to pay a visit this year to see your image ;)

mickw

Wasn't there some stupid megapixel size restriction for entrants so it could be displayed large scale ?
You needed an SBIG or similar, a DSLR couldn't produce the scale  :-?

So much for amateurs  :-?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
Wasn't there some stupid megapixel size restriction for entrants so it could be displayed large scale ?
You needed an SBIG or similar, a DSLR couldn't produce the scale  :-?

This year they say you must ensure:

1) your photo has been taken on a sufficiently high-resolution camera so your image could be displayed in an exhibition. As a guide we may reproduce it at 300dpi at A2 size
2) you have a high-resolution version of your photo available. If you cannot produce an image of sufficient resolution you may not be eligible for the competition shortlist.

They don't mention specific number of megapixels but I hope (!) a DSLR is fine ...

Mark

Tony G