• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Moon image

Started by spendrey, Apr 01, 2004, 17:18:00

Previous topic - Next topic

spendrey

and here's one of the moon.
Any idea what the long straight shadow could be in the big crater just above and right of centre? At first I assumed it was a shadow being caused by a large prominence in the crater itself but if that is the case the shadow is going in a different direction to the rest of the shadows in the picture. Therefore I assume there must be a long ridge in the crater and that is a shadow being thrown behind it, what do you reckon?

Ian

That'll be the Straight Wall, also known as Rupes Recta. It's approximately 115km long and is a slope around 400m high.

An interesting exercise would be to image it in a couple of weeks time when it'll be illuminated from the other side.

Excellent photo, this feature was one of my first astrophoto targets :smile:

spendrey

wow that's interesting thanks Ian! I'll look out for it again as you suggest.

Mike

Can we have the equipment and exposure details of the image or are they secrets?  :wink:
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

spendrey

Hi Mike, I imaged this on Monday night using my 8" Skywatcher and a Toucam. It is actually just one frame from an avi file. I couldn't manage to get any better details by stacking them so I just chose the best one and played around with the contrast and brightness a bit in photo editor.

Whitters

Nice Image.
The straight wall is also known as the sword.
Any more?

spendrey

Thanks, I'm afraid I don't have anything more just yet. I still have some unprocessed avi's to get working on when I get a chance though!
Here is an enlargement of Rupes Recta, taken from the one above. It's all gone a bit pixallated unfortunately. I'm going to try what Ian suggested and take it again in a couple of weeks (weather permitting) when it's illuminated from the other side.

Rocket Pooch

You sod, I only saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  Did you put the image on your web site?

Rick

There's an image of the straight wall on the gallery archive somewhere too... :wink: