• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Net Ink

Started by Fay, May 25, 2010, 18:33:48

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

QuoteSome printers also use shades of grey

Yep, I'm there and not amused !!!

I would be very wary of buying a Canon now.  The HP I had before was very economical on cartridges but Canon photo printer I bought last year just eats cartridges for breakfast.  It has really annoying firmware that insists in cleaning ALL the print heads immediately after switchon, before every print/scan job as well as if you replace a cartridge.  Grey seems to get hit much more than any other colour and I'm wondering if that's because it's the most expensive and hard to get of all the cartridges.

HP definitely gets my thumbs up, also one of my daughters is using an Epson and that seems very good too.

Robert

PhilB

The "set of inks for more than the price of a new printer phenomenon" has been around for sometime. But beware! Some manufacturers now only pack half full cartridges or ink tanks with their printers, so called "starter packs"! So the new printer for the price of a set of inks isn't quite the bargain it appears. However it probably still makes sense to buy the printer!!

What ever way you look at it most inkjet ink costs more by volume than fine champagne, and this isn't likely to change any time soon.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rocket Pooch

Buy a colour laser, saves a lot of cash in the long run..............

Honest............................................................................

Mike

I bet that most of you print in B&W most of the time. I know I do. I purchased a cheap B&W laser printer a year ago and use that for B&W prints. I put a new cartridge in it sometime back in 2009 and it's done many thousands of pages since.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

I think that a lot of the ink online is cheap because it is half full!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

QuoteI think that a lot of the ink online is cheap because it is half full!

And it's crap  :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

PhilB

Always check the price of ink or toner before buying a printer. I bought a low cost laser some years ago only to discover that a new cartridge for it cost £75  :o
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Fay

You are right there, Phil, the price of the inks vary so much depending on the printer
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

my one is £132 + vat. and thats just for the black.
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06c/A1-12771-64209-64548-64548-1839976-1839982.html?lang=en&cc=uk

mind you, it is a laser and i get 7000 pages per cartridge. :lol:

Mike

Around £35 for a toner cartridge for my HP laser. Last time I put a cartridge in was around Nov 2009. I bought a new toner around March expecting it to run out soon but it is still going.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan