• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Moon mosaic

Started by PhilB, May 23, 2010, 14:50:16

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilB

Looks like we both had the same idea, Fay. My music wasn't as good as yours though!

This is a mosaic of three images. Each image is composed of 30 frames shot at 0.2 sec at f23 using an Atik 320e Two were stacked in AVIstack and the other in Registax 5 as AVI refused to do it for some reason! The images were then matched together with CS2. My sky wasn't great last night and the focus is a bit off so the images isn't as sharp as it could be.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

RobertM

Hi Phil,

That's very good for 0.2s as seeing will vary quite a bit during that time.  It is possible to bin the camera 2x2 and shorten the exposure time?

What focal length does f/23 equate to ?

Robert

Fay

Well Phil, I think that is really good! I like it very much. It is very smooth & focus looks good. I would like to try a mosaic.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

PhilB

Quote from: RobertM on May 23, 2010, 19:08:05
Hi Phil,

That's very good for 0.2s as seeing will vary quite a bit during that time.  It is possible to bin the camera 2x2 and shorten the exposure time?

What focal length does f/23 equate to ?

Robert

Ooops, sorry, typo! Exposure was 0.02 sec! And yes you can set binning on the camera. However, I'm still coming to terms with astronomical cameras and, whilst I understand  what binning does physically, I'm still rather unsure as to what it does to an image apart from reduce the exposure time.

f/23 is about 2600mm achieved using a X2.5 powermate. I say "about" as the 'scope is an MCT focusing by moving the primary mirror.

Quote from: Fay on May 23, 2010, 19:49:05
Well Phil, I think that is really good! I like it very much. It is very smooth & focus looks good. I would like to try a mosaic.

Thanks, Fay. Nice to hear you liked it.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Fay

I would like to get to grips with the implications of adding Barlows on focal lengths &  focal reducers etc etc etc.

Mac

QuoteI would like to get to grips with the implications of adding Barlows on focal lengths &  focal reducers etc etc etc.

http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=6143.0

new topic to save the hijack

MarkS

Very natural looking image Phil - of an interesting part of the moon.

Well done.

Mark

PhilB

Thanks, Mark. This is one of those images that just seemed to make itself. It started off as an image of the crater Plato and it then seemed just natural to follow the Imbrum basin south.

Fay

Mac, thanks for the link, it will take me some time to get to grips!!!!!!