• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Maximum DSC travellling time

Started by Rocket Pooch, May 20, 2010, 09:30:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Also how far do people want to travel.....

mickw

I think a 2 hour drive wouldn't be too far and gives plenty of scope - Oh look, a pun  :)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Tony G

Mick,

I do that most mornings going to work, so to do the same for a relaxing weekend with everyone, wouldn't put me off.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

OK, I've voted.

Got the rest of the week to recover anyway  :lol:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

PhilB

For a first timer I'd be up of a 2hr drive. Perhaps more if I could be convinced it was worth it.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mac

QuoteFor a first timer I'd be up of a 2hr drive. Perhaps more if I could be convinced it was worth it.

Is it worth it? hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I must say it is defiantly worth the travel time to goto dark skies.
For me just moving out to some where like high elms is dark compared to Abbey wood.
So to go a  DSC or uDSC in darker climes is a must.
Even if it's just for the social side.

Even Wales is close enough, although not for a Night.

Mac.

PhilB

Quote from: Mac on May 20, 2010, 17:56:51
I must say it is defiantly worth the travel time to goto dark skies.
Mac.

Yup, I'd agree with that. You only have to look at what goes on in the States to see that it's an attraction. Over there they seem to think nothing of travelling hundreds of miles to find such things. But the dark sites in question are in deserts or up mountains where you know the sky will be both dark and cloud free. Trouble is, over here, you could go all the way to Wales and find that it's raining harder there than it was at home  :roll:  I think it's that that makes people reluctant to travel large distances.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

MarkS

Driving large distances is not just a US phenomenon.  Some people I know would drive all the way down to Provence for dark skies ;-)