• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

asteroid

Started by Jim, May 20, 2010, 07:40:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Me and Hugh were doing a solar observing event at a school in Petts Wood yesterday. At roughly 10:30 I saw what looked like a tumbling rock pass in front of the sun. About the size of venus when it transited. Took about 5 secs to transit. Anyone any ideas as to how we can find out what it was. Maybe Ceres or Vespa?

Mike

Wow!!  :o

Sure it wasn't a tumbling satellite?

Try heavens above.

Have you checked for asteroids using planetarium software?

Maybe get in touch with the minor planet centre?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Jim

Pretty certain it was not a satellite as it was quite irregularly shaped. Also most satellites would not be tumbling. I only caught a glimpse of it so cannot be certain but my first thought was asteroid. does Heavens above do objects eclipsing the sun?

mickw

Not Vesta or Ceres and nothing showing between 10:20 - 10:40 in Starry Night.

Could be a lost and confused Taurid
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rick

The critical information is how long it took to pass in front of the Sun, because that gives you a hint of the distance. Five seconds or so sounds like something pretty close to us, to be honest, so a satellite seems most likely.

At 10:24-ish Iridium 81 passed very close to the Sun (according to Starry Night's best efforts, which may not be that wonderfully accurate at the scale concerned) and it would travel a solar diameter in about five seconds, so it's a possible candidate.

There may be alternatives Starry Night doesn't know about; an old rocket booster, or a dead spy satellite, either of which could be tumbling.

Jim

Intriguing. The Iridiums are dead I think so could be tumbling. thanks

doug

Jim ......  Rose has seen an article in the "Maily Dail" about amateur rocket launches.

It could have been a small V2 tumbling around the sky.  It did reach 2000 ft high and was launched from Elsworth, 10 miles north west of Cambridge. Have a look, if you read the Mail.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Rick

Iridium was taken over by the US Military when the phone company went bust, so much of it's still working.

Whatever you saw, I think, with that transit duration, that it was much nearer than the Moon's orbit, so if it was an asteroid we'll be seeing the headlines soon... ;)

mickw

Here's a possibility although report quotes the 21st

Debris

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

doug

I don`t think that the tumbling object was a bird, as has been suggested.  I agree that it could have been space junk or a small rock or summat like that.  But the kids still thought that it was great seeing a UFO in the sky.

Is it a bird ... is it a plane ... ??????????

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...