• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

June uDSC - 4th to 6th June - Rother Valley Campsite

Started by Mike, May 17, 2010, 14:10:10

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

I've got it clear from late evening Friday through into the early Saturday morning so lets hope my forecast is better than yours !

mickw

Around lunchtime

Weather forecast is looking excellent for Friday night but some clouds Saturday
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

I have Friday night clear right through to the morning too. Saturday looking mainly cloudy and some showers for Sunday day.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Mick, I was positive I saw your old van on the M23 yesterday afternoon?

mickw

just got here.
2.5 hrs.  A21 choca.
Entrance to site is next to Station House pub.
There is 1 tent still here seperating us.
Mike et al OK in the corner with one hook up.
And its expensive.

Mike

According to their price list on the website it should be cheaper than Blacklands new prices.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Classed as high season 17 for me and hookup  £27 for me 2 x nights with hook up

Never was much good at sums  ;)

I've got my shorts on to scare the kids
I might take my shirt off tp scare the adults :twisted:

Anyway it looks quite pleasant and Not crowded

Mike

Mike

Report from uDSC at Rother Valley :-

Nice campsite. Quiet and not crowded. Steam railway next to it so see steam trains going past now and then. River boat rides next to that to Bodlam Castle.

Facilities - Fine. Not quite as good as Blacklands, but adequate.

Skies - Excellent. Probably the darkest we have had yet. Lots of moisture in the air last night so transparency got worse through the night, but that showed us the light pollution levels which were minimal.

We will definitely be using this place as our regular DSC from now on.

Rocket Pooch

Sounds good to me Mike, and there is Fishing and Kebabs.

:-)

mickw

They've closed the 2 nearest pubs - including the one at the entrance  :o
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Anyway
The hook ups are a bit thin on the ground, so ideas of fan heaters, tumble dryers, electric toilets and gazillion watt halogen heaters may have to be ditched.
I think we should be able to get sufficient power for all kit though.

Mike

If we took 4 hook-ups and divided them between us all we would have enough. I don't think there are many people that use electric heaters and those that need them can have a hook up to themself.

You will need as many extension cables as you have though as the hook-ups are some distance from the pitches.

The owners have given us permission to use the far corner near the hook-ups from now on so we can squeeze ourselves together. The pitches are huge so if it was just 1 tent per pitch we would be very spread out.

Overall I really liked the campsite. It is nice and peaceful. Not a light in sight. Minimal light pollution, even better than Tuesnoad. Also plenty of things to do during the day such as steam train rides, boat rides, trips to the coast for fishing, Bodiam Castle, etc.

mickw

My comment about the hook ups was more of a caution rather than serious problem although I think we would need to book early - This may have repercussions with cancellations due to cloud or rain - Any thoughts ?
Admittedly if they moan we can always go elsewhere.

Quoteplenty of things to do during the day such as steam train rides, boat rides, trips to the coast for fishing, Bodiam Castle

Plus there's the naked sunbathing   ;)

Mike

(LARGE FILE WARNING)

Panoramic image of the field :-

Mike