• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Setting up a Multi USB hub

Started by Fay, May 11, 2010, 07:38:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I have so many cables & USB connected items coming out of the laptop that I am thinking of setting up the above. Are there any problems? Is there a certain way of doing it?

I understand that each item should always go into the same USB outlet. Does all the camera software etc have to be reinstalled?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

A couple of things...

1) The drivers will most certainly reinstall themselves.
2) Label all the usb sockets so you know which is which.

You could take pre-emptive action and plug each usb device in each socket in advance so it won't matter which you plug them into.  I haven't done this myself but sometimes wish I had.

The USB hub will (most likely) need to be powered if you're using a webcam or any other device that's powered through the hub so plan on supplying power.  I haven't found one that runs of 12V but if you do then please let me know!

Hope that helps
Robert

Fay

Thanks Robert, I seem to remember you had a problem at sometime with it.

So they usually work ok plugged into mains via adaptor?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

QuoteI haven't found one that runs of 12V but if you do then please let me know

Belkin use a 6V psu - Not a solution but a start.

Perhaps rip open some boxes in PCWorld  :twisted:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

USB hubs can be problematic. Especially if you have devices that require power from the hub. it is very difficult to find one that will sufficiently power all of the devices and you also get problems such as after plugged one device in, another one suddenly disappears as if you have disconnected it, etc.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

My guidescope has to be plugged directly into the laptop USB because it requires power.  All the rest of my stuff works quite happily off the (unpowered) hub.

Carole

QuoteMy guidescope has to be plugged directly into the laptop USB because it requires power.  All the rest of my stuff works quite happily off the (unpowered) hub.
DITTO

But I may not have so many leads as you Fay.

I have:

2 from Guide scope
1 from DSLR Camera
1 from guide cable

I run the dew heaters and Mount off my 12V battery even at home.

Carole