• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Monitor failure

Started by Carole, May 10, 2010, 17:32:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Oh  b........... I was just in the middle of typing a reply on the forum when my monitor went black.  Hard drive still working OK, I have tried pressing the On/off switch and holding it and I get a brief glance of what is on the screen but goes off almost instantly.

Very annoying as I have lots on my desk top I need.  Now using my laptop. 

Also I do on-line medical typing and my Vista laptop won't play the transcription on Windows Media Player it says my browser won't play windows Media but to try internet Explorer, how does that help I am already using it!!?? 

Does this sound like a Monitor failure to you?

I've tried tightening up the monitor cable.  I tried shutting down and re-starting (obviously could not do this on screen and had to just switch it off.

I guess I'll just have to buy a new one.  Don,t suppose any-one has a flat screen monitor surplus to requirements I could buy.

Carole

Mike

Carole - Have you ever had yourself checked out for abnormal magnetic fields or something? I have never known anyone to have so much trouble with PC's !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

PhilB

Carole, I don't have a flat screen but I do have a CRT you can have for nought.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

QuoteI have never known anyone to have so much trouble with PC's
I don't normally have problems with my desktop, it's only been with trying to attach new hardware to laptop for imaging I have had trouble.

Thanks Phil but I think I'd rather stick out for a flat screen. 

So can any-one tell me if this monitor has "had it" or does it sound like something simple that can be fixed.

Carole

PhilB

Quote from: Carole on May 10, 2010, 18:05:08
QuoteI have never known anyone to have so much trouble with PC's
Thanks Phil but I think I'd rather stick out for a flat screen. 

So can any-one tell me if this monitor has "had it" or does it sound like something simple that can be fixed.

Carole

Not a problem, Carole. It's likely to be around for a few weeks yet, should you change your mind.

As regards your problem, it's difficult to say without seeing it. Flat screens do tend to move around. This makes connectors "walk" out of their sockets. Are you sure that it's plugged in correctly? Try the power connector from the system unit. You know that that works. Plug it into the screen and see if it comes to life. If so then it may just be the fuse in the monitor power cable.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

I've checked all the cables Phil. Maybe it might be an idea to borrow your screen just to prove it's the monitor.  I'll PM you.

Carole

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

i know this sounds like a strange request.

When you look at the monitor from a very oblique angle can you actually see anything on the screen??

Only ALL monitors have a back light that is used to illuminate the screen.
and if its gone black, the chances are this lamp has failed.
but you can still see things on the screen when you look at it from acute angles.

As for repairing it.

depends on the age of it.
It could be the invertor, or the lamp.

hmmmmmmm.

I'd buy a new one if its over three years old.
although the lamps are about £15 and the invertors are upto £140.
http://www.lcdparts.net

Mac.

Carole

No can't see anything at an angle.  When I first posted this I could get the Monitor to light up for a split second but now it doesn't do it at all.  It is probably about 3 years old,so I think i am going to borrow one in the first instance to check.  I'#m sure there's nothing wrong with the hard-disk and then get myself a new one.

I don,t think it is a fuse because power is getting to the Monitor because if I press the on-off switch, the switch will light up but then goes off again.  When i did this earlier the screen would also light up momentarily.

Carole

PS You can see by all the typos why I hate typing on a laptop, the keys are not spaced the same as a desktop and if you're a typist you just keep hitting the wrong keys!!

Ian

Mike

The alternative is your GFX card is up the creek. if you're lucky it might just be a dodgy cable.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

I'm going to borrow Phil's in the first instance.  I'll ring you phil.

Carole

Carole

Quotemy Vista laptop won't play the transcription on Windows Media Player it says my browser won't play windows Media but to try internet Explorer, how does that help I am already using it!!??
Sorted had to download an add on or something.

Also had a problem logging into my E mails from the laptop (i.e. on the web as opposed to using the Outlook on my desktop).  Virgin Media login page kept going round in circles and coming back to the same page.  So I rang the helpline and they said there is a current problem with Internet Explorer and suggested I downloaded something else.  I have installed Firefox and it now works fine.

Don't know whether there is generally a problem with IE or whether it is just Virgin Media, but this is just a "heads up" in case any-one else is having a problem.

Currently without access to my electronic diary which tells me everything I have to do and reminders (bound to forget something!!) and all my E mail addresses.  Must seriously start to do more back ups once it's all running again.  I had previously exported my address book to my Hotmail account as a back up, but I can't seem to import it to my Webmail.

Never mind, hope to get it sorted soon.

Always something!!!

Carole

Mac

QuoteDon't know whether there is generally a problem with IE

Na its not ie thats the problems its Microsoft, Vista, Windoz, ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,
ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,
ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,
ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect,  :cheesy:

Its just so badly programmed. and full of bloatware.

Mac.

Mike

PhilB

Quote from: Mike on May 11, 2010, 12:06:24
ect ?

Probably typed on a microsoft keyboard, KO?

But Mac's right about windows. I've been using Linux of late and the more I use it the more I like it  :P

doug

ect...... he means etc; short for et cetera, which means .............. er.............er.... other similar things and so on.

Oh, you know what I mean.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Sorted. 
New Monitor works with same cable.

Back in business thank goodness.

Carole

Mac

what you doing about your old monitor?

Scrounge alert.

Carole

If it's any good to you Mac you can have it.  Good job you spoke up as I was going to take it to the tip.

As you are imminently about to move, what do you want to do about it?

Perhaps we can sort the clock battery for my laptop, return of your Barlow and collection of toys at the same time.

While you are scrounging, I also have the old tower from my previous Desktop which I never got around to dumping.  It's a few years old now, but if it's any use to any-one again they are welcome.  Been a bit reluctant to dump it because lots of files still on it. It was still working when I replaced it but needed a re-vamp as was slow, but not been used for about 2 1/2 years now = XP.  

Carole

Mac

Are you going to DSC?
If so bring it with you and i'll pick it up on friday when i pop down.
But im only there for friday!!!

If not i'll pop round some time next week and pick up all the stuff.

As for your old pc.
Make a note of the xp serial number on the side of the case.

As for the files, take the hard disk out and drill loads of holes through the platters.
It will stop any stuff being recovered.

Or failing that, thermite will erase all the data.

Mac.

Carole

Hi Mac,

No I'm not going to DSC - double booked.

Quotetake the hard disk out
Wouldn't know which bit it was, but was thinking of smashing it up.

QuoteOr failing that, thermite will erase all the data.
Perhaps you guys would like to blow it up at a DSC.

Carole

Mac