• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First Light Meade LX90

Started by Rocket Pooch, Mar 25, 2004, 19:58:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Quick shot taken last night with light cloud cover.

JohnP

Chris,

That looks really promising - Lots of colour & contrast is great - It looks like focus was spot on. It'll be great when seeing is better & you use a X2 or X3.

John

Rocket Pooch

3x?  I think it would just fit on the CCD and I mean just.....

spendrey

That's a great photo Chris, well done.

JohnP

Chris,

To get technical.... (which is quite hard for me) - According to a CCD calculator prog I have a Philips Toucam (I guess Vesta is same) should yield a FOV of 1.6 X 2.1 arcmins (96 arcsecs X 126 arcs) with a X3 barlow on a 8-inch SCT F10. Jupiter is only about 43arcsecs  in diameter so there should be loads of 'black space left'... In fact I've just check & a X5 barlow will give a 54 arcsecs X 78 arcsecs FOV. Perhaps you should order up a powermate for that 1 night every 5 years when the seeing would be good to use it :smile:

Cheers,  John

Rocket Pooch

Ok so there's probably room for a larger barlow, but I'll stick to the £39 TAL for now.

spendrey

Hi Chris, if possible and whenever you get time, would you be able to mail me one of the unprocessed raw images from the 350 that you stacked so that I can see what I should be aiming for myself?

Rocket Pooch

I think I've deleted that one, oops, but I have others what are you after, as in size, and where should I e-mail it to?

I assume you want it zipped?

JohnP

I don't know if it's of any help but I have a short animated Gif of Saturn on my webpage showing what the raws look like on my laptop during capture (These raws came from my best Saturn todate) - It may help you when you try for Saturn (not long left though. You can access my webpage from the homepage buton at the bottom & then go to Images/Saturn.

Cheers, John.

PS - Where in Bromley do you live & what's your first name - You can send me a private email if you prefer (link via webpage)

Mike

LX90 !! LX90 ???!!!! When did you get that???
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Like the post Mike, its my birthday present to me :smile:

It's so nice I'll call it "A Lady"......

Rocket Pooch

Stephen,

I've e-mailed you seven frames from a Jupiter session.

Have fun.

spendrey

Thanks very much Chris, I checked my home mail account before I went to bed last night but looking at the time you made that post last night you were up later than me so I must have just missed them! I'll take a look tonight.
How did the meeting go last night? It's quite gutting that the meetings are on Thursdays and the observing evenings are on Tuesdays as I can't make either of these nights. I might be able to get along to some of the observing evenings in the summer hopefully though when they start a bit later.

John, in answer to your question my first name is Simon (even though Chris prefers to call me Stephen for some reason!) and I live in Siward road which Chris tells me is not too far from you?
I'll check out the Saturn images on your site.

Mike

Simon,

We have an observing session on Monday for a change. Why not come along to that one??
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

From now on you will be called "Simon of Bromley" who is called "Simon"!

Welcome to the club brother, right Reg put his name in the book :smile:

Sorry Stephen.

JohnP

Hi Simon,

Nightingale Lane so literally a stone's throw...

It always amazes me - I thought I was the only one into CCD/ Webcam imaging in the whole of Kent & since joining OAS have discovered there are lots of others right on my doorstep. It's great :smile: I look forward to meeting you at some stage.

Cheers, John

[ This Message was edited by: JohnP on 2004-03-26 09:56 ]

Whitters

NIce image Chris. Just need a big fan now to blow those B****y clouds away!

Rocket Pooch