• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kelling 2011...

Started by RobertM, Apr 24, 2010, 20:05:20

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

If anyone else wants to come to Kelling Heath next year then I have a spare pitch reserved that is available.  The pitch is located with the rest of us well up the main field in a clear area near Dob city.

I'm holding the pitch till Wednesday (28/4) if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Robert

Mike

Are you saying all the pitches for 2011 are already booked ?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

No not at all, as far as I'm aware there are still plenty left.  It's just that I reserved four while I was there and one of them is now available.  There is always plenty of demand for pitches in the field we're in so early booking is advised to get a good spot.  Another few weeks and the nearest pitch to us could be 100yds away, it's difficult to know.

Robert

Fay

I have moved to 321 it is an end pitch & will have a bit more room
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

That's if they don't re-arrange and re-number all the pitches agains!

Mike

Is there a way to see what pitches are available?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

The only way is to phone...

Mike

OK, so what pitches have been booked by OAS members already? That way if I decide to book I can at least get a pitch near to the rest of the guys.

Mac

QuoteIs there a way to see what pitches are available?

http://www.starparty.org/booking.html

This show the layout but not what's available.

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
OK, so what pitches have been booked by OAS members already? That way if I decide to book I can at least get a pitch near to the rest of the guys.

Robert and maybe Carole/Fay will know.  I just go where I'm put!

Fay

fay 321, julian 322, 323, Carole 324,  spare, Robert 325, Mark 326, the rest are after this, but don't know the order

Carole

Attached part of the pitch map with the pitches we have booked marked.

This is the Red Squirrel area.
R&S (Roy and Sue)
I&D (Ian and Delphine
R&D (Rose and Doug)
R (Robert)
M (Mark)
C (Carole
Fay was 325 but has moved to 321 (so maybe 325 is still vacant)
336 was already taken when we booked.
I see Julian also has 322 (not marked above).

Hope this helps
Carole

The Thing

The Kelling website booking form says no availability for that weekend!

Carole

QuoteThe Kelling website booking form says no availability for that weekend!
Maybe that's for non Astronomers, (i.e. no Joe Public allowed) you probably need to ring up and say you are booking for the Astronomy weekend, and you get cheaper than normal rates as well.

Carole

Mike

What's in that area with the jaggedy edges?

RobertM

It's heathland, mostly gorse but with a few twiggy low trees.  Our pitches all have very good outlook.  They have an unobstructed FOV to within a five degrees of the horizon to east and west, southerly to about 5 degrees and north to about 5-10 degrees.  There are some trees that limit the horizon to about 15 degrees in the s/w direction.

Carole has a named plot as she's booked for longer.  None of the other plots (325/326or 327) have names on, so Mark and myself would be next to Carole, leaving 327 as the empty plot.  There is also the option of booking for longer as some of the others have in the past.  At the moment the three pitches are booked for 3 days (two nights).

I think the price is £14 per night inc. hookup but I don't think our plots for next year have TV and water points.

The only thing you'll regret is if it's windy and rainy because it's very exposed (the sea is visible from some plots).

It would be great if you could come Mike.

Hope that helps.
Robert

Carole

I think the price is £12 per night. 

http://www.starparty.org/
Go to booking tab (quote from the website)
QuoteAll booking is done with the campsite (contact details at bottom of page) We get a reduced £12 rate from Monday 28th to Thursday 7th April

Ian

here be aliasing errors...

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
I don't think our plots for next year have TV and water points.

That's a shame. 
Is there a good terrestrial signal there? Otherwise I'll have to bring my satellite dish.

Mike

When you book do you have to pay a deposit?

Fay

you have about 5 days after booking to pay full amount. no initial deposit

Fay

Mike,

check if Robert has already paid for the spare pitch

RobertM

I have not paid for any pitch.  They're being held under my name till I confirm the booking, at which time I'll have to pay in full.

If you want one then let me know and you can pay me when we next see each other.

Robert

RobertM

Mike

Robert i'll take the spare pitch please.

RobertM

Mark and I are booked in for the Friday and Saturday nights. What nights do you want me to book you in for?

Fay

MIke, I am there from thursday as is Julian

Mike

Robert - From Thursday please.

RobertM

Ok Mike, the pitches have been booked and paid for.

Because Fay had originally booked pitch 325 for 3 nights I've given you that one. 

The final booking is:

Pitch 325 - Mike    Thu 31st March 2011 for 3 nights
Pitch 326 - Mark    Fri 1st April 2011 for 2 nights
Pitch 327 - Robert  Fri 1st April 2011 for 2 nights

Robert

Mike