• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Registax

Started by spendrey, Mar 23, 2004, 17:02:00

Previous topic - Next topic

spendrey

I took 5 AVI's of Jupiter last night and then processed the best 2 in Registax to obtain my first ever images. I'll post one as soon as I can upload it (can't access my ISP from work). I'm fairly happy with the result for a first attempt but am pretty sure that I could have got more out of the image if I knew what I was doing in Registax.
Here is the process I'm using, is it correct?
1) I get rid of the images at the beginning and end of the AVI which do not show a full disc
2) I set the lowest quality to 20% and Align
3) Optimize
4) Stack (Where should I put the slide arrow on the graph with the red and blue lines before stacking?)
5) Wavlet processing (just a matter of sliding the 6 arrows up and down until the image looks good, is this the best method?)
6) Save final image.
Am I doing this in the right order? Sometimes it seems to me that the image I get after step 3 is better than the image after step 4?
Last night I set the capture program to 5 FPS, and set both Gamma and Gain to quite low, is that right?
Thanks for any help and I'll post the image tonight!

Rocket Pooch

Sounds ok with the exception of the quality level.  I believe people normally set to 75% to start with, also remember with Jupiter at 5FPS there is no point in stacking more than about 500 individual frames or the planets rotation will fuzz the image.

Have a look at the tutorial; the settings for FFT and the quality filter band are displayed there.

P.S. How are the diffraction spikes?

spendrey

Thanks Chris I'll have another play around with it later.

No diffraction spikes this time either!
Thanks for all your help.