• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M13 Kelling Heath 16.4.2010

Started by Carole, Apr 22, 2010, 00:03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Managed to capture M13 on the Friday and also small NGC 6207 is on the left of the picture:

Canon DSLR EOS 450D, 800 ISO, CLS filter, Megrez 72 APO, CG5 GT 1 hour 9 mins (13 x 3 mins + 6 x 5 mins + D,F,B)
Processing in DSS and photoshop

MarkS

Carole,

That looks really good - definitely your best image so far.  Its always very satisfying to catch a faint fuzzy in the background.

Is that a crop of the whole frame?

I thought you said it was out of focus? It doesn't look obviously out of focus to me.

Check your 3min frames to see if the core is burnt out or not.  If the core is not burnt out, create a separate image from the 3min frames and merge it into this one using layers, so the final image has visible stars in the core.

Well done!

Mark 

Carole

Hi Mark,

It is slightly out of focus if you zoom in more.  But we realised what was going wrong after the event.  i.e. forgot to lock draw tube after focussing accurately - duh!, (Must try to remember next time).

Actually the main image is less burnt out in the core, but it's a balancing act with trying to show more in the sky around the cluster or burning out the core slightly.  I did have a go at trying to combine the two but wasn't successful the first time.  Will have another go at it and post it if I manage to do both.

With all it's drawbacks I am pleased with it and I agree it's my best so far, although I think the excellent dark skies were partly responsible for that as well.  Also should have done more subs, I can't remember now why I didn't, I think it might have been because it took me so long to get started that it was 2.30 am by the time I finished this and was tired after the long drive and setting up etc. 

It's a crop, it's too small to show the full frame but in any case the stars around the edge are distorted.

Carole

The Thing

I'm impressed. My last effort at M13 was dismal compared to this. I didn't do subs of differing exposures to have the option of the two image processing Mark is talking about - definitely advance technique!

Rocket Pooch

Hi Carol,

Thats a lot better, your getting there.

Chris

RobertM

That's looking really good Carole.  Definitely your best so far by a long way.

Mike

Well done Carole. Globulars are notoriously difficult to get right.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Must have a go at  some clusters, very nice Carole
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Thanks Mark, Chris, Mike, Robert, Fay and Duncan.

Carole

Carole

QuoteCheck your 3min frames to see if the core is burnt out or not.  If the core is not burnt out, create a separate image from the 3min frames and merge it into this one using layers, so the final image has visible stars in the core.

I had a go at this but only a slight improvement (left = Before) (right = after merging the 3min only subs in the core). Done in PS layers.

Carole

Having nothing better to do with these constant cloudy skies (although tonight just might be OK - fingers crossed), I have had a go at reprocessing M13.

This is levels to make the sky a bit darker using select colour range/select inverse to keep the stars bight.

Not sure if this is an improvement, the cluster is certainly brighter.

Carole

PhilB

Having opened one copy of each in two browser tabs and then flicked between them I'd say it's a definite improvement, Carole.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

Thanks Phil.

So much you can do with processing, but it's just learning what and how and when not to overdo it. 

Carole

MarkS

Definite improvement, Carole - that's looking a lot nicer.

Carole

RobertM

I'd have to agree Carole, it's definitely showing an improvement.

Robert

Carole