Author Topic: Astrobin Data Loss  (Read 44 times)

MarkS

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
Astrobin Data Loss
« on: Feb 16, 2020, 21:42:39 »
There has been a data loss on Astrobin:
https://www.astrobin.com/forum/c/astrobin/annoucements/currently-investigating-a-problem-with-availability-of-thumbnails/

Just one of my images survived:
https://www.astrobin.com/users/sharkmelley/

But I have copies.

Mark

[Edit]  In my case it now looks like only the thumbnails were wiped.  These will be automatically regenerated in due course.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2020, 22:38:26 by MarkS »

Apophis

• O. A. S.
  • Cluster Class
  • intermediate Mono Cmoser
Re: Astrobin Data Loss
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2020, 22:14:25 »
yes only one of mine survived , dont think i will continue with it unless they can reupload the images as they are supposed to be stored securely somewhere , for safety according to salvatore.
Roger

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 00:22:19 »
I just checked mine but it's taken some time as I have 183 images on there.
There are 86 images affected, but many of them it is just the thumbnail which has disappeared and the image is still there.

But 9 seem to be totally lost.

Hopefully once Salvatore has had time to sort things out they could come back again, if not I hopefully have the originals on my back up drives, but don't want to do all that work until I know he can't retrieve them.

Unfortunately for me I use Astrobin as the host for all my images, those that I post on here and those that I post on my own website and they have all disappeared as well. 

Really glad I printed my book last year so if anything gets permanently lost I have a record of them, and one of the reasons I did so.

Plus I have a further 145 images and photos on the staging area.  I haven't checked these as yet but there are a lot that seem to be affected, though some of these are unimportant - things that were just put there to link to demonstrate stuff.

I'm going to wait it out for a while and see what happens. 

It's pretty ironic that my annual subscription for Astrobin is due tomorrow.  Needless to say I won't be paying up until this is all sorted.

Carole

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 15:17:44 »
Well in the end I didn't wait, and found 75 had lost their thumbnails and a refresh of that brough the images back.

I lost 12 images which I had to find and re-upload. 

My Public gallery is now re-instated, but I still have to do the staging area and my own website as stated previously.

Carole

Apophis

• O. A. S.
  • Cluster Class
  • intermediate Mono Cmoser
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 17:47:44 »
seen thhis?
Salvatore Iovene
Yes, we have a cause, and surprise surprise, it's my fault. I will provide a detailed explanation ASAP. However, I am currently a bit bitter towards Amazon for how easy they made it to make this kind of mistake. I will explain the details, and at the end of the day it boils down to "I shoud've known better", but I have a knot in my stomach regarding AWS user-experience.
Roger

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 19:13:35 »
Not seen that which is surprising since I have been in and out of Astrobin Forum all day.

Carole