• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Report from Kelling Heath

Started by MarkS, Apr 18, 2010, 17:33:23

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Great night skies - great company - great weather during day.

Friday night was exceptionally cear and still.  Very, very dewy and it all froze.  Viewed Saturn at 350x mag throught the C11 - rock steady  and probably the best I've ever seen it.  Robert, Mark and Carole all successfully imaging.  The Tak Epsilon's primary mirror dewed up at 1:30am so I stopped imaging.

Saturday was warm sunshine all day - Solarscope got lots of use (but no imaging).  

Saturday night sky was not as exceptional as Sunday.  Those of us still around at 4am (Mark, Robert, Julian) saw the ISS and Space Station(?) pass over - about a fingerlength apart in the sky - stunning - wish I'd known - I'd have set up the C11 for the event.   I was up 'till 5:15am.   Successful imaging from Mark and Robert but Carole had lots of problems (in complete contrast to Friday).

Sunday again was sunny.  Robert and I came home today - the rest are still up enjoying a sunny day (I guess).

Already booked for next year (pitches were booking out fast).

Images to come ...

Mark

Fay

Mark, i heard that it was going to be cloudy tonight, Moon too high, & possibly rain tomorrow, & made decision to pack & come home.

May have made the wrong decision, but the thought of wet tent etc & me driving home in rain, made me pack. Left at 2.15 & got in at 5.30.

Bet they have a great sky now!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

You must have packed quickly - I left at 12:30 and there was no hint that you might leave!

Mark

Fay

I am like a little whippet when I get going!!!!!! I was reading my paper & having a drink & suddenly went into pack mode!!!!!!!!

MarkS

A few pictures ...

Fay's stuff:

Mark's stuff:

Tak and C11 ready for a night's action:

Fay

MY pictures taken with Nikon of Moon & Venus, did not come out, camera shake, they would have been good if had been on tripod!

Fay

Took 3 1/4 hours to get there. Very nice, lots of camerarderie, trade stands, lots of visitors come to see what you have & chat & we did the same. Lots of telescopes. Dark at night, no lights at all.

Wish I could stay up til early hours like Mark & Julian, but was in bed by around 1,30 am.

Had very good company with Mark next door. He is the equivalent of the Goldilocks zone, not too quiet, not too noisy, just right, helpful & knowledgable. 

Fay

My pitch

Mine & Marks pitches. Mark & Robert

Part of the group in the other part of the field

Julians pitch

Fay

Forgot to say. One morning Julian & friends were up around 4am next morning & saw the ISS go over followed by the shuttle........................ really bright. Surprised Mark missed it!!!!!!

MarkS

I saw it - look at the first post in this thread!

But I didn't realise in advance that Discovery was passing over as well - if so, I would have set up the C11 for an image.

Nice pics Fay.  Ironic that I had the smallest tent but the biggest plot size!

Fay

Oh thought you did not see it Mark

Tony G

Quote from: MarkS on Apr 19, 2010, 21:31:13
Ironic that I had the smallest tent but the biggest plot size!

That's unlike you to be that lucky Mark...................................NOT ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

I'm still up in Norfolk staying with a distant relative (only found each other last year).  It's sunny again today so hopefully I will try and do some more imaging this evening as they are interested to see the kit and how it all works as they have a background in photography.

As Mark said, Friday for me was very straight forward and I got my first image if M13 but Saturday night nothing went right and I gave up.  For fear of "high jacking this thread" will talk about that when I post my image when I get home.

You guys don't know what you're missing not coming up here, fabulous dark skies, a fab site, fab facilities and great company, from members and Astronomers from all over the country.  We've all booked again for next year, so if you want to come, we can let you have our numbers, but better decide quick if you want to be next to us.

carole

RobertM

QuoteForgot to say. One morning Julian & friends were up around 4am next morning & saw the ISS go over followed by the shuttle........................ really bright.

Well, I believe it was just Julian, Mark and myself by then.  You missed a wonderful sight - the pair of them disappearing into the faint early morning twilight.

Ian

would someone mind standing up and doing a brief report on Kelling for the meeting on Thursday? I'm sure the rest of the membership would like to know how you got on...

Carole

Sorry, can't come to the meeting, Doug and Rose are still there until Saturday.

Carole

Mike

How does that stop you from coming to the meeting?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteHow does that stop you from coming to the meeting?
To make it clearer.
Sorry, I can't come to the meeting something has cropped up, and neither can Doug and Rose who are still at Kelling Heath until Saturday, so none of us would be able to present a report on kellign Heath.

MarkS

I'm happy to give a report tonight.

Mark

Ian

Thanks mark, that'd be great. Its up to you if you want to do any slides. If you do, stick them on a thumbdrive and I can add them to mine...

MarkS

I won't get time to prepare slides (I have to leave for tonight straight after I get back from work) but if someone wants to harvest some pics from the Kelling Heath thread then go ahead.

Mark

Carole

If any-one is preparing slides for tonight, this is the Kelling Heath group.  Mark had already left before the photo was taken, so I've had to splice him in from the 2009 photo :lol:

Julian was also there but he was with the party from Crayford.

Carole

MarkS

mickw

Hmmm

Looks like one of Carbonis Diffraction Marks to me

Rick, Rick, where's Rick when you need him  :lol:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

He looks like a cardboard cutout.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

What about Sue?  Should you splice in a "cardboard cutout" of her as well?

Ian

someone please animate that so Mark's head nods...

Carole

QuoteWhat about Sue?  Should you splice in a "cardboard cutout" of her as well?
Oh B............

I also took a photo of Sue and Roy (who had gone off somewhere when we took the photo) and intended to copy them in as well, but in my hurry to go to the Isle of Wight on Thursday, completely forgot. 

Sorry Sue and Roy

Will do some more splicing.

Carole

doug

Carole ...... my ROG t-shirt hasn`t got a red bar across it !!!!!!  :twisted:

Must be a bit of the 2009 photo ......

Doug.  :lol:
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Kelling Heath group with Sue and Roy and Mark spliced in.  Doug's red stripe removed.
Bit of a mission, but must get it right.

Mike

Now there are 3 cardboard cut-outs.

Mike

Now all you need to do is sort out the colour balance issues on the 3 people you have pasted in (as they are different to the main image) and the shadows on mark's face and under the table that go the opposite direction, and you might just fool people with it ;)

Carole

Mike I've spent hours on this, it's good enough to show who was there.

Carole