• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Volcanic Ash and DSCs both at Kelling and UDSC

Started by Carole, Apr 15, 2010, 11:41:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Attached is a newspaper graph of where the Ash is expected by this evening.
Not sure whether this should be in Media, but as it affects both camps I put it in events.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/7592774/Volcanic-ash-cloud-spreading-towards-London-forecast.html

Rocket Pooch

Oh well will have to goto the pub then if its too bad.  I was in Balgaria years ago when one went up in Malasia I think and all the snow went black and brown wonder if that will happen?

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

Whatever camp Mark is going to should be OK, as the skies are always clear above him, where ever he is.
He is like a clear sky mascot. :)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

it is expected over Scotland & northern England this afternoon!!!!!!

I'm glad I am camping next to Mark!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

QuoteOh well will have to goto the pub then if its too bad.

I think that may well be a firmware upgrade to your hand controller  :o

Mike

Watch the sunset tonight. It should be a lot redder than normal.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

It's pretty cool to be able to look up and not see one single aircraft going over.

Mac

looks like brighton will be clear. Sorry about you lot at kelling heath. ;)

Mike

What are you doing in Brighton? You're not attending that Gay Pride thing are you?

mickw

Sort of on topic there was a program on Discovery Air Crash Investigation last night about a 747 that flew into an ash cloud - quite amazing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

There was a pilot on the radio who said about 10 years ago he flew his plane into an ash cloud. He said nothing was visible at all, and next minute all 4 engines on his jet just cut out. They had no idea why. They managed to land safely and it was only after engine analysis they found out it was volcanic ash.

Tony G

But how do they manage to still get 'Aerial Photos' of the said ash cloud.  :-? :roll:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson