• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First light for Atik 320e

Started by PhilB, Mar 21, 2010, 22:21:03

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilB

Finally managed to get out and obtain a quick shot of the moon this evening. This is through an 80mm f6.1 refractor on an undriven alt-az mount. It's just a quick test of the camera to make sure that it works okay. Minimal processing: FITS file loaded into Gimp2 and sharpened then saved as JPG.

not too bad for a quick smash together, I guess.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

MarkS

Phil,

The camera certainly works!  What shutter speed was this?  Was it just a single frame?

Mark

Fay

well done Phil, great first light, but, yes details please
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

nice capture.

As above, Details please.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

PhilB

Details are: 1/1000 sec, single frame, 1x1 bin.

I do have a number of frames, this was one of the best. However, when I tried to stack them in registax 5 it produced some really strange results. I'm going to have a closer look at this and will post any results that are worth seeing.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

That's very good for a single frame Phil.
It's all a big learning curve as I know only too well. ;)

Carole

Mike

Very good for a single frame. Focus is a little off but a set of stacked frames would make it better. But then it is only a test so i'm sure next time it will be spot on. Looks good.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: PhilB
when I tried to stack them in registax 5 it produced some really strange results.

Use Avistack for lunar images - much more reliable in my experience.  I use Registax only for planetary work.

BTW, the focus does look slightly out, so even with a stack, the final result will be slightly marginal.

Mark

PhilB

Many thanks for the input everyone.

I had thought of using Iris to stack and de-blur as results from this look spectacular. Trouble is these results seem to be won at the expense of simplicity, there appears to be rather a lot of command line sequences in Iris!

I'd not heard of Avistack, Mark. I've downloaded it and will be trying it shortly - watch this space!

Finally, yep, focus is an issue with this 'scope. It's a Stellarvue AT1010 that was born just before the AT1010 become the Nighthawk. Visually, it's great and you'd have trouble prising us apart. Unfortunately, it lacks any sort of really fine focus adjustment, a problem when it comes to imaging. Never mind though, I do have something else in the arsenal which should more than step up to the mark.

Mac

Hmmmm, didnt know about that AVIstack software.
Might have to look at that and have a go at my moon from DSC.

Mac

Mike

Quote from: PhilB on Mar 23, 2010, 15:01:05Unfortunately, it lacks any sort of really fine focus adjustment.......

Sounds like you need a motorised focuser.

PhilB

Quote from: Mike on Mar 23, 2010, 18:07:13
Sounds like you need a motorised focuser.

Might be the way to go. I'll give it some thought.

Meanwhile, I've passed some images through AVIStack. This is now a stack of 10, other details remain the same.

A bit darker, I guess. Maybe a hint of extra detail?

I need more practice!

Fay

I would have thought Wavelets in Registax & a bit of lightening may have sorted it, Phil. Did you try that?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

PhilB

That's a thought, I'll give it a try. Trouble is I usually overcook wavelets. Don't know why, just can't get the hang of 'em.