• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Re: Cassini Sees Saturn's Rough and Tumble Rings

Started by Carole, Mar 19, 2010, 09:28:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Quote from: mickw on Mar 19, 2010, 08:13:10
The rings of Saturn are the most intricate planetary decorations in our solar system, but are also cosmic gems festooned with unknown red material and some tricky dynamic forces that shape them.

The Cassini probe has been studying the gas giant Saturn since its arrival at the gas giant in June 2004. Over that time, Cassini has studied not only Saturn's awe-inspiring rings, but also its atmosphere, moons and the magnetic shield that surrounds it.

The discoveries that Cassini has made in its six years of close Saturn inspection, as well as the many mysteries of the planet left to solve, are detailed by mission scientists in two papers in the March 19 issue of the journal Science.

More:   Rings

I got a spyware invasion from that link.
This also happened to me a few days ago from one of the links posted on the Forum.

Carole

mickw

Nothing for me

You're not clicking on adverts are you ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Nope, just looking at the linked web site, but did click on one of the "view here" images (of Cassini and rings) and up popped one of these pages saying I had thousands of trojans horses etc etc - growing in numbers all the time - made to look like my own system.  Having had one of these before I just shut down and ran a virus and spyware check to make sure.

Carole

mickw

Sounds like a pop up

Is your pop up blocker turned on - does it work - doesn't sound like it  :-?

Carole

Actually now you come to mention it - yes it was turned off.  I hadn't noticed that. 

Thanks
Carole

mickw

Elementary my dear Watson  ;)

I think we've all done it  :oops:

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Tony G

This happened to me as well yesterday, when I went to open this link, an operation from the web page was stating that I had spyware on my computer, and advised me to scan it with their super-duper spyware eradicator, which I promptly turned off, but not before it linked me to the web page to carry out the scan.
I had my pop-up stopper switched on at the time.

Carole, is this the same pop-up as yours???????????????????

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

It sounds like it Tony.
Told me I had loads of trojans as well, but like you I turned it all off quickly. 
Obviously something dodgy there.

Carole

Delphine

Same thing happened to me and I had my pop up blocker on.  A big red warning saying that my computer was being invaded by trojans.  No clue as to who the message was from so obviously dodgy.  Like Tony says it very quickly starts to scan before you have a chance to get out of it. 
Delphine

Mike

What anti-virus and spyware programs are you guys using?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Delphine

Carole

I have PC Guard which is included free with the Virgin Broadband package.

Carole

mickw

I don't seem to be having problems and am using

Windoze Firewall
Avanquest Systemsuite for A/V
Popups blocked in Google Chrome