• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First Light with Leitz

Started by Fay, Mar 04, 2010, 22:22:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Messed about with the Canon/Leitz tonight. Easy to use, but as I did not receive my RDF, I could not get aligned on my subject, which was M42 or Horsehead. It is difficult to see what you are looking for on the subs as they are so much smaller in that much of a widefield & not recognisable. I wanted to get both subjects in at once, but I can only move camera up or down not side to side.

Anyway, only did some single 300 sec subs when I finally got on M42, will post tomorrow, nearly had a heart attack when I saw these long brown fingers appearing on the subs, thank God it was the tree!!!!!!!!

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

this is only a test, 1x300 sec F3.4. ISO 800/Canon 350D modified. The brown marks are the tree.

Mac

Nice image

looks like you have the aperture stopped down a little, did you have it fully open?

Mac.

Fay

Mac just looked at the lens & it was F11, but could have done that when taking it apart. Will have to watch closely in future, may have turned it in error

RobertM

That's not bad Fay, it proves the lens works ;)

Try it at f/3.4 and be amazed at the difference  8)

Fay

Yes, forgot to check if I had moved it accidently.  At least it works, that is the main thing. I wrapped the WO dew strip around it as well!

MarkS

The lens looks very promising.  The important thing will be what the star shapes are like when the lens is wide open - so double-check your setting next time! 

I'm certain that is not a 5 minute sub at F3.4 - the core would be much more burnt out.

Mark

Mac

QuoteMac just looked at the lens & it was F11, but could have done that when taking it apart. Will have to watch closely in future, may have turned it in error

Just look at the exif data, that will tell you all you need to know