• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DEEP SKY CAMP - MARCH 12th to 15th- BLACKLANDS FARM

Started by Mike, Feb 21, 2010, 20:41:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

Hi All, won't be there 'til the morning. Nephew's 18th bash wot I forgot (never have been able to remember the 9 nieces and nephews birthdays). All off to Hard Rock Café tonight. Enjoy the showers.

One other note, Camping International have closed their shop at Lower Beeding, went to the Gillingham branch this AM to get replacement tent poles and a warm sleeping bag (plus a load of other stuff).

Mike

I'm running later than planned but will be there today. I guess I'll be down around 7.30pm.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Great!!

We have Fay, Chris, Rachel, Duncan, Tony, John, Mark, Cris and I as well as Julian from Crayford Astronomical Society. Paul is on his way.

It's cloudy/sunny right now and we have been looking at the sun through gaps in the clouds and everyone is setting their gear up in anticipation for a clear night tonight.

mickw

Excellent, any images of the sun ?

Wish I was there but still feel like crap - at least there's 10 of you that won't get infected by me.

I hope Marks got enough of the weird French stuff  ;)

Mike

Scott of the Antarctic eating beans and sausages

Everyone sitting around a roaring fire

Mac

Mike

No mud :D

This is us right now (22:00) sat in the field keeping warm around, believe it or not, an electric halogen heater :-

Whitters

I'm only ever going camping with an electric halogen heater from now on. I'ts much safer for me than a naked flame ;-)

RobertM

Any clear skies and imaging happen last night ?

Like the halogen heater idea, what wattage is it?

Robert

mickw

That weird French stuff looks dangerously close to a heat source  :-?

DSC is dangerous enough without electric fires and exploding bottles, please try to act responsibly in future  :roll:

Any imaging done over the weekend ?

Mac

QuoteI'm only ever going camping with an electric halogen heater from now on.

the only side effect of said heater is the light pollution it produces,

You might want to go for a small ceramic one like mine. (2kw)

Mike

I don't think much imaging went on as it was patchy cloud. It is a glorious sunny day today so we are now out doing some solar observing. The forecast for tonight looks the best.

Mike

Quote from: mickw on Mar 14, 2010, 08:58:34
That weird French stuff looks dangerously close to a heat source  :-?

It had turned to slush due to the low temperature so Mark was warming it up. A fair bit of it was poured into the fire bucket for dramatic effect. It's surprisingly flammable.