• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Darks library

Started by Carole, Feb 18, 2010, 23:24:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Thought I'd keep all the darks I do to save time in the future and was meticiously copying them onto CDs and recording, date, length of subs and temperature.

When I tried to use them DSS is telling me the files are "read only", but when I go into properties read only is NOT ticked.  What makes them read only?

Also copied them back onto the PC but it still says the same thing.

Would this be because the CD's are not RW, and if I got RW ones would that work?

All that painstaking saving them for nothing. 

Carole

Ian

they're read-only because a cd is read only. Even RW, they can be erased, but only as a whole disk.

Copying them back should be ok, as long as they're not ticked read only.

However, I'm intrigued as to why DSS want to write to library darks...

Mike

If they are on a CD then yes they are read only.

Copy them over to your HD first.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteCopy them over to your HD first.
I tried that, but it still said they were read only, even though read only was not ticked either on the CD or on the HD.

Quoteen RW, they can be erased, but only as a whole disk.
I had other length darks on the same disk,  (i.e. 3min and 5 min darks).  I only copied the 5min darks onto the HD.  Would that have made any difference?

Carole

MarkS

Are you running Vista?   :evil:

Show us at DSC - I'm sure we can get it sorted.

The Thing

DSS creates a .txt description file for each file for a lot of the files it uses. I seem to recall you can turn it off in the stacking settings.

Carole

QuoteAre you running Vista?
The original files were captured in Vista, but I then transfer them to my Desktop Windows XP.  I used them OK with my original image, but then from Windows XP transferred them to CD. 
I am now using windows XP with DSS to try to re-use these darks which were on the CD.  (Hope that al makes sense).

Won't of course have my desktop at DSC, but will have my Windows XP laptop and my Vista laptop.  I'll bring the CD as well.

QuoteI seem to recall you can turn it off in the stacking settings.
We'll have a look at DSC

Carole