• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Error code on desktop

Started by Fay, Jan 31, 2010, 08:27:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I have the following on my desktop, when trying to connect to internet.

Socket error 11004 port 110. I can sign on manually but not by pressing my normal connect buttons.

Please has anyone an idea of how to cure it.....without ringing India!

thanks
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

Are you sure its when you are trying to connect to the internet, or when you are trying to get your E-mail?
As port 110 is normally used for E-mail connections.

also there should be a little more information regarding the error. Like a Hex code or something. with an error number.

It might be the fact that your e-mail provider's email server is down, which is normally the case.
or they are doing maintenance on it.

If the rest of the internet is working its probably their e-mail server is down.
Make a note of the error and post it here

Mac.

Fay

Thanks, ok Mac, No it is when trying to connect to internet as well.

I am wondering if the batteries may be low on the keyboard, as it is a wireless one

Fay

No, not batteries. Message below

I have to get in via Settings, Network Connections. Will not accept me pressing my special mail or internet buttons on keyboard. This has been since yesterday

Failed to find host. Socket Error: 11004, Port: 110,Protocol: POP.The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for.

mickw

Do you have an Internet Explorer icon (or whatever you are using) in the taskbar (bottom left by the "Start" button) - if yes, can you click on that to start internet ?  The same applies to your email program.

It sounds like your keyboard software is misbehaving.

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

I have redone the install disc for keyboard & mouse & still the same. Oh dear....sounds like India here I come!!!!!!!!

Although odd that I can connect via setup, which does suggest the keyboard buttons are not doing their job

Ian

Fay, what program are you using to get your mail.

The error you describe is usually associated with a DNS error, however as this one of the first things the computer does when you connect to something on the internet, it might be a symptom of something wrong in general with your network settings.

I think it is very unlikely to be related to your keyboard unless your keyboard is starting your mail proggy off with the wrong settings or something.

Does mail work if you don't use the keyboard shortcut key?

Fay

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
sounds like India here I come!!!!!!!!

Didn't know you were off to India.  Have a fab time!

Mark

Ian

Fay, I think the next step to go into the keyboard settings program. This is probably in the control panel, if you can find it under Start>programs

Each shortcut button will have an command associated with it which should start off your mail program. What do you usually use for mail?

When you get into the configuration prog could you paste the command that is associated with the mail button?

Fay

Thanks Ian, I will have a go

Fay

Ian,

I have to get online via the Orange shortcut on screen, then press mail shortcut & it takes me into mail.

Once I have  connected via screen, the web button on the keyboard will take me to Google, it just will not do the initial connection now, as the mail shortcut will not as well.    Am I rambling????

Keyboard in settings, says it is working ok.

Fay

Ian, I just went into settings & ticked "always dial my connection" & I have got in via keyboard, to both net & mail!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help