• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

A scope for Moon and Planets?

Started by Carole, Feb 16, 2010, 09:48:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I have seen a 6" Newtonian Reflector for sale £75 OTA plus rings.  I would like to have something more powerful than my WO Megrez for doing Moon and planets, and I don't want to go back to using the ETX for this as the tracking for imaging was terrible.  (Having got the CG5, I now understand what Mike was talking about when I was trying to image with the ETX, the alignment procedure and tracking is only really OK for visual and I could never keep the object on the chip long enough to do any decent images). 

It is an Event Horizon Scope which I've never heard of.

Would this be OK for Moon and Planets?

If I get it there will be a spare couple of weights Mac, as he's including the very basic Mount as well. 

Carole

Rick

For planets you need a long focal ratio, which is why planetary observing folk often use refractors or Schmidt-Casegrain instruments. To get detail on Mars (except when it's really close) you also need aperture. Unless this is a particularly long focal length Newtonian I'd say it wouldn't be good for planets.

Rick

Nope. It's f5, which is fairly short for a small Newtonian. If it had been (say) f8 then it might have been worth considering for planetary work, though it's not quite enough aperature for Mars. It'll be fine for the Moon.

Tony G

This is the same as one of my first scopes, and yes you can see the moon, but you can see the moon without one of these as well, if you get my drift. ;)
Its OK if you are starting off in astronomy, but there is a clue in the price and parting comment,
'Im looking for around £75 but am willing to accept offers' :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Tony G

Wasn't Fay selling her 8" Orion?
Is it still for sale?
That would be pretty good for Moon and Planets.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

Open to offers, provided they have mountings rings attached (see Mick's thread!!!!)

Carole

Tony G

It cannot be all that, if the mount that comes with the scope has to be adapted to take the weight of the scope,  :-?
If I remember, a lot of this is made to look like metal, but is in fact plastic, so beware what you purchase, as it may look heavy duty, but wouldn't be fit for the job.

Tony G