• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

whoa, where'd them colours come from?

Started by Ian, Jul 04, 2002, 18:37:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

I see you've had another go at my pics then Greg :smile:

I'm going to go for less gain next time, to try and reduce that noise.

Whitters

How about this, a composite of your M57 and the one I took last year

[ This Message was edited by: Whitters on 2002-07-04 16:44 ]

Ian

that is good and clear. and colourful :smile:

I need to have another crack at this, I looked again at my raw captures and realised I wasn't running the camera at 640x480. Doh!

Is this one a rework of the greyscale on the gallery? And which camera etc?

Whitters

Yep it's the one on the gallery, taken thru the C8 with the Starlight Express MX916, think it is the sum of five twenty second images.

Forgot to make it obvious, the luminance is from the MX916 the color is from Ian's modified Toucam Pro image.

[ This Message was edited by: Whitters on 2002-07-04 18:54 ]

Ian

d'oh, re-read your message about it being a composite.  <slaps forehead> (need an emoticon for that one).

Why do you want to butcher a toucam if you have one of those cameras?

Whitters

So I can get the color images, and for the crack. :grin:

[ This Message was edited by: Whitters on 2002-07-04 18:56 ]

Ian

Whitters

Ian

that's got me thinking...

The limit of the Vesta/Toucam is the resolution (and noise) but it give reasonable colour information. I might look into a monochrome camera to provide a high res luminance image and use just the chrominance from the webcam. I guess that is how you made the composite?

btw, if anyone knows where I can get cheap peltiers, Maplins are showing theirs as discontinued...

Whitters

I stole the idea of mixing the B/W luminance image with the colour. Some of the chaps at the BAA deep sky section meeting demo'ed it. Does seem to work well.

Ian

I was thinking again about this, and whether swapping cameras is less hard work than using filters, but then again, the quality of the colour image is less important than the luminance so you need not spend so much time with the colour camera.

Course, you could do away with the colour cam altogether and use a hubble coffee table pic. In fact if you then do away with the mono camera and use a hubble pic for that too...

Whitters

Mike

Hey, get rid of your scope altogether, paste lots of Hubble pics together seamlessly on your ceiling and lie on the carpet looking up at them through a toilet roll tube !!

MUCH cheaper !! And not dependent on the weather at all !!!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

you know Mike, I think you're on to something. I was going to cover the ceiling in tin foil and put lots of pinholes in it, but you idea is better because I won't need special binoculars that focus at 1m to stargaze :smile:

Mike

Exactly, and it's far less dangerous. Wielding that pin around willy nilly could have someone's limbs off !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan