• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Blacklands Closed

Started by Rocket Pooch, Feb 12, 2010, 08:26:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Quotealthough snow is forcast again next week

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

4x4 Donughts.

on a more serious note though.  Doe, Ray, Me, Far, So, La, Tea, Doe ;)

QuoteLooks very small though. Not sure they'd have enough room for us all.
True. especially if we get a full compliment of us.

What about the one in Rye, or thereabouts.
The one that delivers curry to the site.
Or was that one seasonal as well?
I think Chris has been to that one before.

If things get desperate theres always. Quagmire common.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=pluckley&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=24.565138,67.631836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Pluckley,+Ashford,+Kent,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.146592,0.728499&spn=0.001583,0.00515&t=h&z=19

MarkS

Quote from: Mac
What about the one in Rye, or thereabouts.
The one that delivers curry to the site.
Or was that one seasonal as well?
I think Chris has been to that one before.

You mean Romney Farm - doesn't open 'til Easter. 
Nor does Norwood Farm - the one I spent a night at (but very brightly lit toilet block).
Tuesnoad I'd be very happy with (very dark!).
Stairs Farm certainly worth a try.

Mark

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
although snow is forcast again next week

Excellent news.  If they're forecasting snow we'll probably get crystal clear nights instead!

Carole

QuoteNot sure they'd have enough room for us all.
There is plenty of room for us all, but even if there wasn't there is an adjacent field we can also use, but there is no hardstanding, or hook up in the next field.

I really think we should give Stairs Farm a try, it's dark, not too far and has everything we need, and because it's not huge, we won't get hoards of noisy light polluting public as our neighbours.

There is no point in people like me, Doug and Rose going to suss these places out if we're not even going to give them a try.

Carole

Mike

Well if they reply to my email and say they can accommodate us next weekend then we will go.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

Quote from: Carole on Feb 14, 2010, 08:31:54

There is no point in people like me, Doug and Rose going to suss these places out if we're not even going to give them a try.

Carole

It's worth considering when is the most appropriate time to check sites out. Off season facilities may not be clean, access might be difficult and so on. Stairs Farm will still be there in the summer, even if we don't go this weekend.

Carole

QuoteStairs Farm will still be there in the summer, even if we don't go this weekend
But as the other sites are either closed or going to be a quagmire, it does seem a shame to cancel DSC or try out other places that are also unknown.

This at least has a new shower, I can't imagine they would let the facilities be unclean, and a hardcore entrance to the field with some hard standing for caravans and campers and no sheep poo. 

Carole

Tony G

Quote from: Carole on Feb 14, 2010, 11:08:25
and no sheep poo. 

I take it that means there's no sheep!  :(

Tony G

PS...............I'm happy to try anywhere.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

The Thing

I'll be there wherever is open, my scope needs a holiday from the conservatory!

Fay

Wherever we go will be a quagmire!!!!  Same about Blacklands I was considering hiring a camper   :(
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

QuoteWell if they reply to my email and say they can accommodate us next weekend then we will go.

Sounds like the best idea.

QuoteThere is plenty of room for us all, but even if there wasn't there is an adjacent field we can also use, but there is no hardstanding, or hook up in the next field.

We have extension leads.
I think the one at blacklands was 100m+

I do believe Mr G still has a huge length. (Comments as you see fit) ;)

so power wont be a problem as such.

Mac.

Carole

I rang and spoke to the owner as soon as I heard from Woodlands yesterday, and as said in a previous post there were spaces for 2 hardstanding and 12 tents (plus overflow into next field), but how often do we have that many tents, although we will want to leave space in the middle for the scopes etc with 5 hook ups available.  

However as Mike is in charge of DSC he needs to confirm the arrangements.  She said she would trust us to collect the money from those who came and pay her afterwards (which was a concession I negotiated with her) but I think we have to make some sort of booking with her beforehand (i.e. an approximate idea of how many will be going).  

So what I am saying is, there was definitely space yesterday.  Mike you might do better ringing her as she hasn't responded that quickly to E Mails to me in the past.  The phone number is on the website.  

Sorry about the lack of sheep Tony.
QuoteWherever we go will be a quagmire
Yes the grass will be boggy wherever we go, but at least this has a gravel path to get into the field, and several gravels paths crossing it:

N.B. that church spire is very very dimly lit

Toilet block is the two brown doors, the rest is a barn.  Incidentally the two barns block out the glow from the setting sun.

Carole

Mike

Well i'm game. I'll post a vote so we can get an idea of numbers.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Mac

Mike are you going to do a block booking?
Depending on the poll.