• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

New Moon and Jupiter

Started by doug, Feb 04, 2010, 09:34:26

Previous topic - Next topic

doug

Tried to get this.  First attempt with the new camera .... hand held.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

doug

Huh !!!!  As usual, I did something wrong.  Can`t seem to highlight the location address... it won`t go into the img-img space.  Oh well, back to the drawing board.  At least I managed to find the "post image" button ............. at last.

Doug ............ still trying after all these years.  (Apologies to Simon and Garfunkle)

Mike

Where did you upload your image to?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Doug, the link in your first message points to a file on your own machine, and may work for you but won't work for the rest of us.

Mike

You need to upload it to the gallery or some other image website (Picasa, Flickr, etc.) then copy the link location from there and put it inside the [ img ]   [ / img ]    code.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

...as explained at great length in these two posts (both at the top of this section):

doug

Thanks for all your help, chaps.  I tried to upload the image onto the Forum from a photo I have in Picasa, but I cannot find the link on the picture to send it to the forum.  I tried and failed.  :cry:

When I have a little more time, I will have another go ...............

The Mangler. :boom:

Mike

Follow those instructions Rick posted up. It is all in there.

doug

Having another go at this ..............

doug

..................... and still nothing happened !!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Where have you uploaded your image to?

mickw

Doug I think you are missing the last part of the link

This is what you posted but there is no actual file name -
http://my%20pictures/Sony%20A380%20first%20pics/??????????

If you go to the image (at the place you uploaded it to) then right click on the picture (the actual picture not a "thumbnail") then click "properties" - you will see a box with that http: stuff in it - frequently there is a lot more text in there that won't fit in the small box so -
Click at the start of the text (like you already did), then drag the cursor down and to the right, this should highlight all of the text including the stuff you couldn't see before.
Then just right click  then copy - the rest is what you did before.

Here's an example of copying the Visible Text
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_VTfcx7bG__M/ShwmXFw-FbI/AAAAAAAAASw/PyGYzUvUl7M/s720/DSC%20%
And this includes the text that was outside the box
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_VTfcx7bG__M/ShwmXFw-FbI/AAAAAAAAASw/PyGYzUvUl7M/s720/DSC%20%286%29.JPG

The first results in this (as you've found out)

The second (with the extra text) results in this

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Mick I see both images.

mickw

2 x Jims ?
That's odd the first link is incomplete  :-?

doug

Tony G

I can still only see the second image!

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

DOUG!!!

ANSWER ME!!

WHAT ARE YOU UPLOADING YOUR IMAGE TO??? WHAT WEBSITE??

doug

Sorry, Mike, been a bit busy.  I was trying to upload it onto the Forum from my Windows Photo Gallery, but could not highlight the actual link to transfer it onto the Forum.

I have now cheated and you may see it soon, plus all the photographic details that are required......

Bloody nora, mate !!!!!!!!!!

One day I shall be able to cast off my L plates and do everything properly.  I don`t have the knowledge or experience on computers.................... I used to use pen and paper; much more reliable and easy  :twisted:

But I do appreciate everybody`s help, you know!

Doug.

mickw

Doug,
Are you using the "Windows Live Photos" where it has "Recent Photo Albums" ?

If yes, you must keep clicking on the image until it is full size - all the other smaller pictures are "thumbnails" and really just form part of the index/directory and won't go anywhere.

Then just do as I said in my earlier post

Fay

Do you think Jim looks like a film star in that picture?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Jim

Seem to recall i was rather hungover when that was taken!

Fay

Wow you are saying that was on one of your bad days!!!!

Tony G

And finally here it is, Doug and Roses, Moon and Jupiter.

Is that a Acer pseudoplatanus in the foreground.

Tony G

PS......................Fay, it seems like you are trying to get around 'Jim the Chair' for something, your not going for the chairpersons place in next month AGM?  ;)
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

No Tony ha ha ha

That is a great picture Doug & Rose, so clear, really good!!

And Tony is showing off with his tree knowledge!!!!!

Carole

Yes Doug, much better than my Moon and Jupiter taken about a month ago.

Carole

doug

Thank you Tony, for putting the image on here. And thanks everybody for the favorable comments.

For the technically minded :-  Sony A380, f5.6, ISO 400 taken at 0.5 seconds.

If I had the time, I would have put the 300mm lens on the camera, but then I don`t think I would have captured both the moon and Jupiter in the same frame.  It`s going to be an oooooooooge learning curve, especially putting images on here.  Thanks to EVERYBODY for their suggestions ..... there isn`t a lake near here ........... and their advice.  All will be taken into account in the fullness of time.  

Thanks again, Doug.  :D

Delphine

doug

............... and I think the tree is a LEAFINUS FALLINUS WINTERUS, Tony.   :twisted:

Tony G

That would have been my second choice, but due to the light I was mistaken.

Tony G

MarkS

Great image Doug - well done!  I'm looking forward to many more ...

Mike

Fay

Doug just realised you have a new camera!!!!!

So did you put it on a tripod? Or is it hand held?

doug

It was a hand-held shot, Fay.  The clever stuff comes later when I have got used to the camera.  It`s a bit different to the little Olympus which I have used; now that goes to Rose and she can start doing stuff through the `scope with it. 

Doug.

Carole

Pretty steady for hand held Doug.

Carole