• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

"Pimped my scope!" (as the young folk say)

Started by Duncan_Cameron, Jan 22, 2010, 12:07:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan_Cameron

Morning All,
Less than a month in to owning my first telescope (STARTRAVEL-102 SynScan) I've already found myself buying a Vixen lantham 6mm eyepiece and a new  Tele Vue Barlow x2 to replace the one that comes as standard with the scope. I can see this where this is going to take me....
5 years from now I'm sure i'll be to far gone to be saved 'an amateur astronomy junky' who can be found in a field at 3am in the morning shaking and mumbling. "Just need to increase magnification and clarity, I can just afford it and I promise this is the last time, the final fix. I wont need to improve after this upgrade I'll be satisfied.... honest".
Is this a common problem or just par for the course in Amateur astronomy?
On an off topic question I applied to join the Society last week but have not received the info pack yet and wondered how long it takes to arrive. Also for the society meetings I presume that you leave your scopes at home and only venture out with them for imaging and observing evenings? Apologies for the basic questions I'm just a newbie!
Cheers Duncan

Mike

Duncan,

Nice goodies you've got there. Yes we all suffer from the same problem. Once you start buying stuff you just can't stop.

We don't bring scopes for the meetings usually (unless there is a special event on that night and we want to have a look, i.e. comets, etc.).

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Duncan_Cameron

Hi Mike,
Thanks, i'm look forward to meeting everyone!
Cheers Duncan

Carole

QuoteI can see this where this is going to take me....

Sorry Duncan, but your post just made me chuckle, as I recently spent about £1200 on various new bits of equipment and thought, "Well that it, I've got it all now", but still I find I am needing the odd extra thing.  You'll probably find after a bit you'll want a completely different telescope, I'm on to my 3rd and doubt it will be my last.

QuoteIs this a common problem or just par for the course in Amateur astronomy?
So yes, par for the course I'm afraid.

Carole

Carole

QuoteI applied to join the Society last week but have not received the info pack yet and wondered how long it takes to arrive
If you haven't got it by 28th Jan, just turn up to the meeting anyway, you can always join on the spot, if you want to, or be a guest for the evening.

Carole

Rick

Quote from: Duncan_Cameron on Jan 22, 2010, 12:07:38... and wondered how long it takes to arrive.

Mostly it depends on when I manage to get things into the post. I posted a couple of sets earlier his week, so it's down to the Mail from there. However, as these usually (a) contain a membership form and (b) say something like "Please come along to one or two of our meetings, and bring this along when you're ready to join", it's not essential that you receive one.

Mac

Loved the post.
brings back memorys.
QuoteI can see this where this is going to take me....
:lol:
QuoteI can just afford it and I promise this is the last time, the final fix. I wont need to improve after this upgrade I'll be satisfied.

had to read it listing to this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZorRGrDiMsA
QuoteDon't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
:cheesy:

Duncan_Cameron

Right so there's no hope then! Carole as happy as I am with my scope I had a initial budget of £400 and at the time I couldn't find a scope for that price. From recommendations I though the Skywatcher 102 would be a great starter scope and under budget at £300. While purchasing at the shop the assistant told me Skwatcher do a scope at £400 which is a big brother to the 102 but they don't have any in stock, curses! I now catch myself when looking through the eyepiece wondering what the view would have been like through the £400 model. I must banish such thoughts!
Thanks Rick, I'll sign up at the meet  (Royal Mail always seem to deliver my post 2 doors down for some reason!) and Mac looks like I'm going to keep going till I've got enough. Does this mean that I'm going to end up with a APM 180 mm F (180/1260) CNC-LW II APO Refractor Telescope before I'm satisfied :cheesy:!

mickw

QuoteI'm going to end up with a APM 180 mm F 

Oh no - You don't get off that lightly, keep looking  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Daniel

I only started imaging 2 years ago, i've now got a cupboard full of astro gear and i owe 2 years worth of tax. :oops:

No regrets thought!

Daniel
:O)