• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Introducing myself.

Started by Duncan_Cameron, Jan 17, 2010, 23:36:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan_Cameron

Evening all,
My first post and what to say hello. I'm extremely green in amateur astronomy and my reading of the evening sky consists of recognising Orion, the plough and when on form, I have the ability to pick out the moon! Hopefully this can all be sorted out by study and a telescope.
Managed to wangle a Skywatcher 102 for Christmas (which I've found great as a start up scope) This evening saw Jupiter, her four largest moons and Mars for the first time. Quite sure I'm going to become addicted after this. The night sky has always had a fascination for me as I'm sure it has for everyone on this site, and finally doing something about rather that watching "Sky at Night" from the sofa is great!
Keep watching the skies!
Cheers Duncan,
Chislehurst

Carole

Welcome Duncan,

You've taken that first step, and managing to find Jupiter and Mars on your very first evening as well as coping with a new telescope is not bad at all.  There's nothing like that "wow" factor seeing Jupiter and it's moons for the first time, just wait until you see Saturn.  Does your Skywatcher 102 come with a motorised mount or a manual one?

You've also come to the right place for Astronomical advice and chit chat.  
Will you be joining us as a member at our meetings as you're local?

We also have observing evenings (see the website for information).

Carole

Rick

Hiya. Thanks for introducing yourself. You'll find you can now post in other sections of the forum.

doug

A warm welcome from Rose and Doug.  I have a Skywatcher 102 SynScan and it is an excellent `scope, as well as a Skywatcher 1145 reflector.  As Carole said, look out for the Observing evenings, usually on a Tuesday evening.  We meet in the Change of Horses in Farnborough village and the beer and stars go well together.................

Be pleased to meet you. 

Rose and Doug.  :D
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

Welcome Duncan.

It isn't on the website but the next Observing Session is 16th February. The rest of teh dates are in the Meetings and Events section of the forum.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Greetings.

Im sure you will spend many evenings enjoying the spectacular objects in the sky.
Rain, Cloud, more cloud, even more cloud.
And on those very very rare evenings. STARS :cheesy:.

Still those cloudy evenings can be put to good use, studying books and getting to know where objects are.
and how your equipment works, ect.

I suggest that you get yourself a planisphere.
MAKE SURE ITS EITHER 50 OR 51.5 DEGREES..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Planisphere-Northern-Degrees-Astronomy/dp/054008817X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263815183&sr=8-1

this will help you to locate the constellations in the sky, from there you can start to find the smaller faint fuzzies.

Also just enjoy star hopping.
Feel free to ask any questions, you will always get an answer.

Mac.

Simon E

A big welcome from me, I'm sure you'll have fun, finding all sorts of stuff up in the heavens.
I have a 102t skywatcher that I also got for xmas, great scope, good as a starting point and when you upgrade to a 20" reflector, you can use it as a guide scope :o

Si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Duncan_Cameron

Quote from: Carole on Jan 18, 2010, 00:25:33
Welcome Duncan,

You've taken that first step, and managing to find Jupiter and Mars on your very first evening as well as coping with a new telescope is not bad at all.  There's nothing like that "wow" factor seeing Jupiter and it's moons for the first time, just wait until you see Saturn.  Does your Skywatcher 102 come with a motorised mount or a manual one?

You've also come to the right place for Astronomical advice and chit chat.  
Will you be joining us as a member at our meetings as you're local?

We also have observing evenings (see the website for information).

Carole

Hi Carole,
Thanks for the welcome! Certainly got the "Wow" factor and also the "need more magnification, wonder if I can pimp my scope!" Still not going to run before I walk though and can see I'm going to have many great nights to come with the Skywatcher. In answer to your question about the scope the mount has a motor with SynScan (although I have my longitude and latitude I've still not set it running yet).
I have sent a request for info/application form for becoming a member of the society. Im really looking forward to meeting you all at the meetings and especially the observing meetings.
Cheers Duncan

Duncan_Cameron

Quote from: doug on Jan 18, 2010, 07:39:52

A warm welcome from Rose and Doug.  I have a Skywatcher 102 SynScan and it is an excellent `scope, as well as a Skywatcher 1145 reflector.  As Carole said, look out for the Observing evenings, usually on a Tuesday evening.  We meet in the Change of Horses in Farnborough village and the beer and stars go well together.................

Be pleased to meet you. 

Rose and Doug.  :D

Hi Rose & Doug,
Thanks for the warm welcome! I hope to attend the next observing evening (work permitting) Beer and stars sounds like a heady combination not to be missed!
Cheers Duncan

Duncan_Cameron

Quote from: Mac on Jan 18, 2010, 11:51:23
Greetings.

Im sure you will spend many evenings enjoying the spectacular objects in the sky.
Rain, Cloud, more cloud, even more cloud.
And on those very very rare evenings. STARS :cheesy:.

Still those cloudy evenings can be put to good use, studying books and getting to know where objects are.
and how your equipment works, ect.

I suggest that you get yourself a planisphere.
MAKE SURE ITS EITHER 50 OR 51.5 DEGREES..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Planisphere-Northern-Degrees-Astronomy/dp/054008817X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263815183&sr=8-1

this will help you to locate the constellations in the sky, from there you can start to find the smaller faint fuzzies.

Also just enjoy star hopping.
Feel free to ask any questions, you will always get an answer.

Mac.

Hi Mac,
Thanks for the help and link! Bought a Philips planisphere, and have got as far as spinning round the acetate window and seeing what the night sky will bring! Just need to remember star and constellation names and get use to looking at the planisphere and marring the sky with it. Here's to a cloudless winter.
Cheers Duncan

mickw

Duncan, you're welcome to come to our monthly meeting on the 28th as a guest - details are on the main site
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

Another Duncan! Welcome! We have a great time, it's a great society full of great people. And we do look up at the night sky given the opportunity even though the forum may give you other impressions!

Duncan
(Beckenham)

mickw

QuoteAnd we do look up at the night sky

There's a sky ?    :o
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Simon E

SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Duncan_Cameron

Being new could you explain the technical term "sky" and which way do i point the scope to see it!

Mac

QuoteThere's a sky ?  :o

Where!!! :o

Aparently above these things.

Dont believe them though.

Tony G

Mac,

You have Photoshopped the orange out! Wicked! ;)

Welcome Duncan,
As you can see already, you will be made to feel very welcome, and if you have any questions on astronomy or life in general, this is where to ask them. There are a couple of us up the road in the posh part they call North Chislehurst (Mottingham) and another few in Chislehurst and Petts Wood, so you are not alone, looking at orange or grey skies.
We have Deep Sky Camps (DSC's) every other month, and unoffical camps at intervals between them(basically loads of camps) and this would be a great oppotunity, dare I say it, :roll: to look at other members equipment, and the difference in the images that can be seen.  :o
Well, hopefully you'll pop down to one of the meetings, camps or even the pub in the near future.

Hope to see you soon.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson