• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Not sure about this......

Started by JohnP, Jan 04, 2010, 20:22:43

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

When I was at Les Granges a 1 1/2 ago I took an image of m33 (L only) using my Atik16ic + ZS66. The result is on my webpage here: http://jpastronomy.co.uk/graphics/lesgranges%202008/m33.html I have been meaning to add some colour to it so whilst I was waiting for the Tadpole Neb to rise on 22/12/09 I took the opportunity to grab 5X3 mins each of R,G,B (yes I know it's not a lot but object was close to meridian & I wanted to finish before flip)... Biggest hassle was getting orientation etc. close. Anyway sorted it & managed to combine with original L. Result is as shown below... I purposely haven't saturated too much as colour channel is very noisey due to lack of exposure & noise really starts to show. Also, I am not sure about colour balance...

Anyway here it is - L (from France) & R,G,B (1 1/2 yrs later from Bromley)

Cheers,  John

MarkS

Definitely needs more RGB data!

It looks OK from a distance though.

Mark

JohnP

QuoteIt looks OK from a distance though.

Cheers Mark - That's the problem with most of my images... look OK from a distance but crap up close... :-(

John :-)

Tony G

What sort of distance are you talking about. Isn't 2.9 million LY far enough?  :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Quote from: JohnP on Jan 05, 2010, 12:33:08
Cheers Mark - That's the problem with most of my images... look OK from a distance but crap up close... :-(

A bit like Van Gogh.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Ear, ear - what are you trying to say Mike ...

Carole

Well I think it's amazing to be able to add colour to a B&W image done 1 1/2 years ago and be able to align them etc etc.

I know there is always room for improvement, but also be proud of what you have achieved.  I am learning only too well what a difficult hobby this is, and I would be very proud to have produced an image like this.

Carole

JohnP

Thks Carole I appreciate your comments. getting it all aligned etc. was a challenge... I think even though I obtained very little RGB it's helped to define the spiral structure & really helps highlight the Ha bits. I may and get some more RGB next time out.

Thks again,  John

RobertM

It looks good to me John.  My only comment would be that the stars look a little bigger than they ought to.  Not sure whether that was at capture time or during processing but if they could be reduced then the image would look better imho.

Robert

JohnP

Thks Robert - I think the L I got in France was just L filter only so I'm guessing that's the reson for bloated stars - I can probably reduce a bit - I will give it a try - Thks,  John