• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - 15th to 18th Jan 2010 (CANCELLED)

Started by Mike, Jan 04, 2010, 10:53:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

It will have to be huge to make Mac's vehicle look tiny.

I can't wait to see this Monster Truck you've bought.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Tony G

Well it seems like the big thaw (and I don't mean John  ;)) and the rain, will be turning all that lovely fluffy stuff into that muddy stuff, so it going from cold and hard to soft and wet,  :lipsrsealed: and so was wondering was this DSC being re-scheduled, or was it still going ahead??????????

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Personally I think we should scrap it and set another date for an official one in February.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
Personally I think we should scrap it and set another date for an official one in February.

Reluctantly, I agree.  Valentine's weekend?

Mark

Mike

Valentines weekend is when there is a New Moon so would be best. it would mean the Imaging Session on the 12th would need to be moved though.

Rocket Pooch

Dam I'll have to go and play in the mud on my own.

Or, I could go and get the 4x4 and have a play?

MarkS

Given the rain and the melting snow, I'm certain there's no shortage of mud down there.

Tony G

What about the weekend before or after the 12th Feb.
I know everyone prefers the DSO's, but it might be good to see the moon and have a little competition on one of the sky camps, and image this, and still have plenty of time to image DSO's.
Just a thought!
I think this is what we all started on. ;)

Tony G

PS..............................Plus I won't be in trouble as well for missing St Valentine's Day. ;) and I think a few others as well.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

I'm fine with that.

The weekend of the 20/21 the moon is last quarter and goes below the horizon between 2300 and midnight.

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
The weekend of the 20/21 the moon is last quarter and goes below the horizon between 2300 and midnight.

Errr - that doesn't sound right.  The moon is last quarter, agreed, but surely that means it rises very late and gets ever higher until dawn?

Mark

Mike

Nope. it is high in the sky during the day, getting lower and below the horizon close to midnight.

JohnP

Actually night of 21st it passes right in front of Pleiades around 6-7pm so could be good photo opportunity eh TONY !!!!!

John :-)

Mike

OK I am taking a decision...

The January DSC is officially cancelled. We will hold another one on the weekend of 19th to 21st February. If you still wish to go down that is up to you.

Rick can you please update the main site.

The Thing

Looks like we are set for an early evening team moon in front of the seven sisters then. Could be one for the calendar!