• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Guiding

Started by Carole, Jan 03, 2010, 20:37:42

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Carole,

Download GPUSBCheck from Shoestring
http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/downloads.htm

Quote from their site:
QuoteGPINTCheck and GPUSBCheck are simple, free software applications that you can use to verify that your GPINT-PT or GPUSB, computer, and scope mount are all working together properly. You can download them using the links found below. You should use this the first time you set up your system. You can also use it as a debugging tool anytime your system is not functioning properly. If your system works fine with GPINTCheck or GPUSBCheck, but not with your third-party software, then the problem most likely lies with the third-party software and you should contact them for technical support. If your system does not work with GPINTCheck or GPUSBCheck, then you should contact us for technical support.

Download GPUSBNudge while you are at it. 

BTW, I use XP on my laptops.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark.
Will check it out. 

Carole

Ian

actually you got a response from *both* guys who developed the software ;)

Mac

Carol just out of interest how many computers do you own?

Carole

I have a desktop - Windows XP which I use for everything except imaging.
and 2 laptops for Astronomy the old one is XP and the other is Vista.

Quoteactually you got a response from *both* guys who developed the software
I hadn't realised that, but that is worrying because they said contradicting things regarding the com port.

Carole

Mike

If you have an XP laptop what is all the fuss about? Why not just install it on there?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

you dont need to purchase another copy of windows xp,
just install one of your old ones on to your existing vista one.

mickw

Quoteinstall one of your old ones on to your existing vista one

Needs to be a "Full" version rather than an "Upgrade" - upgrade versions won't "downgrade", neither will "Rescue Disks" so there could be problems here  :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Quoteyou dont need to purchase another copy of windows xp,
just install one of your old ones on to your existing vista one.
This is where I have no experience of doing this sort of thing.  I don't have any discs because they all came ready installed with no discs.  So is it possible to take a copy off an existing system?

QuoteIf you have an XP laptop what is all the fuss about? Why not just install it on there?
I have managed to install PHD on the XP laptop, but it is probably on it's last legs it has hardly any disc space and I don't know how much longer I can keep it going for.  It is certainly not up to the job of doing DSLR imaging.  So I would like to be able to do everything on the new laptop if possible.  

QuoteNeeds to be a "Full" version rather than an "Upgrade" - upgrade versions won't "downgrade", neither will "Rescue Disks" so there could be problems here
I pass on that one, no idea what version I have. 
Carole

RobertM

Don't forget your old XP laptop, though on it's 'last legs' it has a valid copy of XP Pro on it.  The license number in on a sticker underneath is worth more than the laptop so don't throw it away.  Any install disk for XP Pro will do you to get you going...

Hope that helps
Robert

Carole

Thanks Robert,

Yes I remembered you telling me this before, and of course I won't just throw it away.  However I don't want to get rid of the XP laptop you sold me until it's either really had it or not needed any more. 

My Webcam will not currently run on the Vista as there are no Vista drivers available for it (another annoying thing about Vista), and after the way the New Vista laptop behaved when I was trying to do everything on it the other night, I am wondering whether I should have two laptops running anyway.

What I want to do is convert the Vista to XP, run them both using the new one to do the DSLR imaging, and use the old XP for webcam and guiding.  Then if the Old XP laptop dies on me (it has been doing strange things on start up recently), I am not left high and dry with a laptop which will only do some things and not others.

Hope that makes sense.

Carole

Simon E

I have various copies of XP that I have access to as long as you have a serial number on the back of the laptop then we should have no problem re-installing XP. Dual booting is ok as long as you have enough disk space and are quite happy working with the various flavours of operating system. I would dual boot, but then again I have 4 laptops and a big server and have be using windows and dos since dos 5.0 and windows 3.11.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

mickw

Reminder for Carole
The XP serial No. is on the old laptop not the new one with Vista.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Simon E

It should say on the label what version it is, it could be the home edition, which is a bit of a pain but i might have a copy.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Carole

It is Windows XP Professional (1 - 2 CPU) on my old laptop.

Space on the Vista:
C Drive = 69.6 Gb (32.2 Gb available)
Data D Drive = 69.6 Gb (69.5 Gb available)

Carole