• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Guiding

Started by Carole, Jan 03, 2010, 20:37:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Yes John, thanks.  I think I found that last night, but PHD which I had tried to install by dragging it into the programmes folder (as suggested) was not listed.  So all I did was drag it out again.

Normally I would not dare to touch computer controls as I don't understand it enough, so I don't want people thinking I make a habit of doing this and this is why I get lots of problems.  

I get problems when the PC or software doesn't do what it should do, and I don't know enough to sort it out.

So as soon as I can get my PC modified to WindowsXP (not by me) the better I think.

Any volunteers?
I'm willing to pay. especially if they can load PHD for me at the same time. 

Thanks
Carole

Carole

Hmmmm, having read this I'm definitely not tackling it myself.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/22/how-to-downgrade-windows-vista-to-xp/

It sounds like Mac's idea of partitioning is a good one, in fact I think my Laptop is already partitioned in Vista.

Carole

mickw

Quoteinstall by dragging it into the programmes folder

No - drag/copy/move the "downloaded" file to your laptop - anywhere, although desktop is easier.
Then double click or "run" the downloaded file - the downloaded file is the thing that installs the program and "creates" the PHD folder and sticks numerous files in it.

If the PHD folder already existed, then Vista DID do a partial install and needs to be got rid of or, if you're lucky, the new installation will overwrite the buggered up version.

You may find that the extra partition you have in Vista is a "Recovery" partition that is small (probably around 5 gig) and only contains files to recover your system when it dies  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

I have just been looking into the guide cables I have to make sure I don't need a driver and this is what I found on the GPUSB interface port I have bought:

QuoteUses the USB HID (Human Interface Device) class driver, which is included
with most operating system such as Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows
2000, and Windows XP. There is no need for a proprietary driver.

No mention of VISTA.
Mark, you use the same system, what does your laptop run on?

Getting really cross now with Vista.

Carole

Carole

QuoteYou may find that the extra partition you have in Vista is a "Recovery" partition that is small (probably around 5 gig) and only contains files to recover your system when it dies

No, I think it's larger than that Mick, I think it's around 50% intended for data storage or something.  I'll have a look next time I open up the laptop. 

Carole

mickw

Human Interface Device means anything that lets you (assume human  ;) ) interface with the device.

In this case a USB device, so should be OK as mice can be a USB device, plus everything else USB that you've plugged in works
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

OK, well I'll just have to take it in stages. 
I could try seeing if guiding works on PHD on my old laptop, so we can check everything is working as it should be (except dear old Vista). 

I could try using old PC to drive the Mount and new PC to do the imaging.  But not sure if I have enough USB ports and compatible hubs and I need 3 for guiding and only 2 on the old laptop.  However even if this works it's not ideal for DSC. 

Most ideal would be to change Vista to WindowsXP.

Carole

Tony G

Carole,

I noticed that your settings for Control Panel is in Classic View mode, if you change this by clicking on 'Control Panel home' above where it says 'Classic View' you should be able to go to Programs and from here 'Uninstall a program'

Hope this helps you get to where you want to goto remove a program.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

Carol if you do get totally stuck using this tool will help no end.

http://sledgeassociates.com/images/SledgeHammer.jpg

Mac. ;)

Carole

Hmmm, wasn't thinking about doing anything that drastic Mac. :cheesy:  
But if all else fails, might sell it and get myself a reconditioned Windows XP, which was something I was considering doing in the first place, but only went for the new model because the recon ones wouldn't guarantee much life in the batteries.  On balance, I think I would prefer to have had the XP.  

QuoteI noticed that your settings for Control Panel is in Classic View mode, if you change this by clicking on 'Control Panel home' above where it says 'Classic View' you should be able to go to Programs and from here 'Uninstall a program'
Hi Tony, yes I changed that because the other mode was even worse.  But having said that, I couldn't uninstall PHD because it wasn't listed as having been installed.  I had just put it in the programmes folder and that's as far as it got.

Carole

Mike

Why not just buy a copy of XP ?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

QuoteBut if all else fails, might sell it and get myself a reconditioned Windows XP,

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

there are plenty of people here who can install xp for you.

Whats the point of ditching your pc to get another one with a different operating system,
keep your PC and reinstall xp.

When the time comes and you've finally had enough, too quote NASA, "we can rebuild him, we have the technology"  8)
Showing my age.

im sure that time will be soon though.

Mac

Ian

I would think you're of the vintage that would think nothing of running around the playground in slow motion making a chuggaa chuggaa sort of noises.

I bet you had a parker too, with a snorkel hood.

Carole

QuoteI would think you're of the vintage that would think nothing of running around the playground in slow motion making a chuggaa chuggaa sort of noises.
I bet you had a parker too, with a snorkel hood.
don't understand that unless it's a dig at my age.  No I never had a parker or ran around the playground making chugga chugga noises. 

QuoteWhen the time comes and you've finally had enough, too quote NASA, "we can rebuild him, we have the technology" 
Showing my age.

im sure that time will be soon though.
the time has arrived, help!!!

On an earlier topic,  I joined the WXAstrocapture forum as suggested earlier in this thread, and I got two replies.  One from the man himself who designed the software!!!!

Anyway, it looks as though I did everything right, and it was in fact guiding but the signal was not getting through sufficiently. 

So I'm going to try again using the old laptop for guiding, and using the new laptop for collecting images.  The Vista was making clicking noises for quite a few minutes – you know the sound when you try to get it to do something it won't do, so perhaps it was all too much for it.

Nothing like getting a reply straight from the horse mouth though!!!

Carole

Carole

QuoteWhy not just buy a copy of XP ?
Happy to, but I still need some-one to install it, I'm not chancing doing it myself.

Carole