• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Guiding

Started by Carole, Jan 03, 2010, 20:37:42

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Just put the downloaded file onto a memory stick (or even a compact flash card from your camera) transfer it to the new PC then install it.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

QuoteI HATE VISTA

Hurah we have a convert.

I would say the following, get yourself a copy of hyperos.
install it and then install a fresh copy of winxp into a separate partition on your disk.

that way you can keep cursing vista, whilst you are setting up xp.
and just switch between the two.

that way you can still image with vista, without having to worry about getting everything set up in one go on the xp
and once that xp is set, copy over your doc ect and then get rid of vista

Mac.

Carole

Hi Mac,

QuoteI HATE VISTA Hurah we have a convert.
I'm not a convert, I have never liked Vista which is why I hung on for so long not wanting to buy a new laptop.  But in the end I had to as I wasn't getting anywhere with that LX problem I had with my SC3 camera.  Several people had looked at the laptop (including yourself) and it was not clear whether my LX problem was the camera or the laptop.  Was I mad when I found only a few weeks later that Windows 7 was coming out.  

I guess the only reason I haven't converted so far is I was worried I might negate the warranty if I changed the system.

QuoteI would say the following, get yourself a copy of hyperos.
install it and then install a fresh copy of winxp into a separate partition on your disk.
Your suggestion sounds good, I've found it as a download on the internet but don't know how to make a partition.  

QuoteJust put the downloaded file onto a memory stick (or even a compact flash card from your camera) transfer it to the new PC then install it.
Mick, that sounds a good idea too, but again not quite sure how to put an installation file onto a memory stick after I've installed.   I'll give Mick's idea a go, but if I fail, does any-one fancy doing this for me as a paid job?

Carole

Mike

XP is still your best option. Windows 7 hasn't been out long enough for all of the bugs to be ironed out and for all of the peripheral manufacturers to get stable drivers for the devices. XP has been out for years and is in a nice stable form at present.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Quoteput an installation file onto a memory stick after I've installed

Carole, the file you downloaded is just an ordinary file (that does clever stuff).  Although you have "installed" the program, the downloaded file should remain unchanged - In fact you could actually delete it now.

So copy or move the file you downloaded (the one you double clicked to install the program) to a memory stick and transfer it to the new laptop.
Then run the file on the new laptop and this will install the program (hopefully)

If when you put the stick into the new laptop, Vista pops up a menu suggesting it contains a video file or whatever, there should be an option to "explore" the folder (mem. stick) - choose that and find the file - do not let vista try and open it with a suggested program and Never tick the box that asks "always perform this action with xxx file type"

Carole

Hi Mick,

I did what you suggested and it seems to be installed on the VISTA but when I try to use it I get this message:

"Application has failed to start because it's side by side configuration is incorrect.  Please see the application event log for more detail."

Can't find an application event log.

I think I really want to convert to Windows XP. 

Carole

mickw

It sounds like Vista did a partial install the first time  :-?
Try the add/remove program thing in Vista to delete anything that's in there.
Deleting the folder might help as well, that sometimes gets left behind after deleting

C:\Program files\PHD Guiding would be a good place to start looking using Windows Explorer

Reboot then install it again.

Carole

QuoteTry the add/remove program thing in Vista to delete anything that's in there.
First of all there isn't a thing called add or remove programmes.  I found a "programmes" icon, but PHD wasn't listed, even though it appears in this list
QuoteC:\Program files\PHD Guiding

So I've deleted it from that list, also the desktop icon I put on last night. 

Re-installed via memory stick - same problem again.

Carole

Mac

QuoteFirst of all there isn't a thing called add or remove programmes.

goto start menu
goto settings
select control pannel
open add or remove programs :D

mac.

The Thing

Oh dear! Don't go deleting directories/folders from the Program Files folder :-[

No wonder you have so many problems. In Vista Use Control Panel, Programs and Features to remove programs you don't want! NEVER delete folders in Program Files unless you really know what you are up to. My dad used to do this all the time before he passed away and I spent days fixing the damage for him. He was 84 so had an excuse.

mickw

QuoteNEVER delete folders in Program Files

Even after the program is removed/uninstalled ?

Thanks Ian  :oops:

Ian

Quote from: mickw on Jan 06, 2010, 15:25:03
QuoteNEVER delete folders in Program Files

Even after the program is removed/uninstalled ?

Never take computer tips from someone who can't operate the quote tags correctly...

;)  :twisted:

Carole

Quoteselect control pannel
open add or remove programs
Mac, that's what it hasn't got!!
I've got that in WindowsXP, but not in Vista.

QuoteOh dear! Don't go deleting directories/folders from the Program Files folder :-[
No wonder you have so many problems.
Just to clarify, I have never deleted anything from programmes files folder before I had all these problems.  So it's not me that has caused the problem, the problem was already there.  

I was told to uninstall PHD and as I had installed it in the first place by copying into the programme files folder I as instructed, and it didn't appear in the programmes list (Note, I do not have an add and remove programmes utility as previously stated I just took out what I put in.)

I even went into help to try to find where Add or Remove programmes was located, and it was telling me loads of other irrelevant stuff.

Carole

Carole

This is what I get when I go in control panel:

As you can see no add or remove programmes.

Carole

JohnP

Carole try this...

http://www.vista4beginners.com/Add-Remove-Programs-nowhere-to-be-found

Looks like it is in Programs & Features.....