• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Slow, fast, slow

Started by Rick, Mar 02, 2004, 22:56:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Anyone noticing general slowness on OAS websites?

The main site URL is re-directed. You could try the direct link to see whether that makes things go faster.

The home pages themselves are stored on Demon's homepages server. Far as I can tell the OAS site hasn't burned its bandwidth and been resource-limited, so it should be as fast as ever. May be worth checking Demon's status messages if things seem completely dead though.

The gallery archive is on my machine at home, on the wrong end of an ADSL link, so will be bandwidth-limited by the usual ADSL 50:1 contention. Most likely to suffer in the evenings, but will also suffer if lots of people try to look at images at the same time, or if search engines get in and try to suck the site dry. Can't say I've noticed much of that happening, but it is possible. It may also slow down if I'm using that machine for something computationally intensive, but most of the time I don't....

The forum is on the end of Ian's ADSL link, which is (I think) a slightly higher bandwidth link than mine. Again, I don't think anything there's changed, but the same sorts of delays may apply.

The Net at large is subject to odd changes in performance, and when the worm of the week hits things can slow down quite noticably. This is usually what slows things down. Blame Bill Gates... :wink:

Ian

well I can tell you, since I'm sat in Anchorage House that the Demon guys are running around fixing it. Muttering something about some bloke called Rick...

Rick