• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Visit to Herstmonceux 10.4.10

Started by Carole, Dec 30, 2009, 20:33:05

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Can you put me down too please...

Carole

Thanks Robert, that's 12 now.

Carole

Carole

We're now up to 15 people going to Herstmonceux.

Can I now ask if any-one is willing to give a lift to any-one else and where they live (for ease of pickup), in case there is any-one who would like to come but either doesn't have transport, or doesn't want to drive all that way on their own.

Thanks

Carole

doug

Carole...... if you want to get to our place I will take you and one more .... if they wish  :D
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Thanks Doug, but I'm stopping overnight at my Aunt's in the next village, so I won't even be able to give any-one a lift. 

Can I put you down for a lift for some-one else then?

Carole

RobertM

I live in near the high street in Orpington and could take two or three.  I would prefer local pickup or en-route.

Robert

Carole

Carole

I will be collecting your £10 tomorrow night (AGM) please bring your money those who have booked.

Carole

The Thing

Carole, just to remind you I did tell I couldn't make it after all. Shame 'cos I think it's a great place.

Carole

Yes thanks Duncan I have removed both you and Mark from the list who also can't make it now.

Carole

doug

Carole ............................... did we pay you for this??
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Mike

So what time are people getting down there? is anyone going earlier?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters

Good question, what time where meeting? Main web-site still says details to follow. Confused of Uckfield.

Carole

Just to confirm, every-one was given a leaflet and map which you can use to prove you are with our party (or take a membership card or badge with you).

This is only necessary if you get there earlier than 6pm to allow you to get in without them trying to charge you.  I have also sent a list of names (excluding those who booked in the last few days) and am planning to get there early myself with list etc, so hopefully there should be no problems.

In case you've mislaid it this is a copy of the leaflet (you'll have to find the map on their website)  
Please note what they say about not using the postcode on your SATNAV as it will take you to the wrong entrance:

OAS private visit to Herstmonceux
[/b]
meet at Herstmonceux at 6pm 10th April 2010
The evening will finish around 10.30pm
The following planets will hopefully be viewable through the telescopes (weather and altitude permitting): 7.30 Mercury & Venus, Saturn & Mars 8.15 onwards
Some information from the Observatory leaflet:
All ages and abilities will find something to both entertain and educate from a wide range of interactive hands-on indoor exhibits, to the restored and working historic telescopes and the exhibition 'Domes of Discovery - the story of The Royal Observatory'.  If weather conditions are favourable, your group will view through the historic telescopes.  If viewing is not possible, you will still have a comprehensive tour of the telescope domes.  
Café:  The cafe will be open for teas and coffees, there are also sandwiches, ploughmans, cakes etc
Every booking helps to develop this unique site.  Our friendly, dedicated staff and volunteers will advise and assist you at all times and ensure that your evening is a success, no matter what the weather.

Important Information and Facilities
All visitors to The Centre after dark should pay particular attention to where they are walking and ensure children are constantly supervised. (BEWARE OF THE LAKE IF YOU ARE LOOKING UP AT THE SKY).

Advice from Herstmonceux:

We recommend that warm clothing is worn and visitors may like to bring a torch (red light if possible).
There is ample FREE parking for coaches, minibuses & cars.
The Gift shop is packed with souvenirs, science books and astronomy related items as well as a fantastic range of pocket money science toys.  The shop can be available during your visit if required.
You will be assisted by a dedicated team of staff and volunteers, all of whom are checked through the Criminal Records Bureau and many of whom are registered STEM Sussex Science & Engineering Ambassadors.
The Centre is a NON-SMOKING site.
CCTV is operating throughout the site.

Hope this clarifies things, I check my E mail regularly if you have any further problems and will be at Mike's this evening.

Paul I've E mailed you.

Carole