• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Visit to Herstmonceux 10.4.10

Started by Carole, Dec 30, 2009, 20:33:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I am collecting names for this.  OAS has to pay a minimum amount to Herstmonceux for this visit, so it would be useful to get some idea of who wants to go.  It is £10 each, make your own way there (I'll provide some maps nearer the time).  Meet at 6pm.  It is between Battle and Hailsham.  

Herstmonceux Observatory
Hailsham
East Sussex
BN27 1RN

http://www.the-observatory.org/astronomy

The Observatory Science Centre is home to six historical telescopes which were left behind when the Royal Greenwich Observatory (RGO) finally closed its doors at Herstmonceux and moved to Cambridge in 1990.
Weather permitting we can look through the telescopes.  We should get good views of Mars and Saturn and the skies are very dark there.  
I have collected the following names so far.

Doug
Rose
Hugh ?
Carole
Dave Stewart
Brian
Simon.

The Thing

You can add me to the list Carol.

Carole

MarkS

Carole

Thanks Mark.

I've added you.

Carole

doug

09 .................... 09 ????????

Should that not be 10 ???????????????????????????????

Or have I missed out last year ????????????????????????????????????

Doug.  :o
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mac

depends on how you look at it.

It could be 9th April 2010
or 10th April 2009

even 10th Sept 4AD :cheesy:
9th october 4AD

probably 3rd 4th & 5th Sept 2010, as per their web site.  http://www.the-observatory.org/astronomy-festivals

We are English.  The date is formatted  as follows

day / month / year.   ;)

Not the AMERICAN way!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Carole

Thanks for pointing that out Doug.

I've changed the heading now.

Carole

Mac

so what's happening on the 10th of April then?

Carole

Mac

nope, their web site says its the 4th of sept 2010, which would be 4/10/10.
http://www.the-observatory.org/astronomy-festivals

your post says 10/4/10 which is 10th april.

so i was wondering if you have some sort of deal going for april.
or is this just a visit to the site, and not the camping festival?

only i cant see anything on their site listed for 10th April.

Mac.

JohnP

Quotenope, their web site says its the 4th of sept 2010, which would be 4/10/10.

Mac just to confuse things the 4th Sept 2010 is actually 4/9/10 & not 4/10/10

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Carole

It's a private OAS visit to Herstmonceux. Part of our events outings. 
It's been announced at the last few meetings and I thought my first post had explained.

We get to look around the telescopes and if the weather is clear we can look through the scopes.  Saturn Mars and Venus are visible (depending on the clouds).  I have seen both Saturn and Mars through their scopes in the past and they are stunning.

OAS has to guarantee a minimum payment for a private visit, which is why I am counting names.  So far we have 9 and we need 9 more to cover our costs.

Skies are very dark, but make sure you look where you are going.  Once when I went I was looking up at the sky and narrowly missed falling in the lake there!!!!  You'd think they'd have a fence or wall around it knowing it's so dark and people would be looking skywards.

Carole

Mac

ah, my mistake, i thought it was for the festival in sept. :oops:

Carole

A bit more info for Herstmonceux regarding refreshments available.

Cafe menu on the night - the hot food would be soup, jacket potatoes,
toasties. There are also sandwiches, ploughmans, cakes etc.

We are now up to 11 people.  We need 18 to cover our costs, and if we get 25 (though I think this is unlikely) we can pre-book a buffet.

Carole

RobertM

Can you put me down too please...

Carole

Thanks Robert, that's 12 now.

Carole

Carole

We're now up to 15 people going to Herstmonceux.

Can I now ask if any-one is willing to give a lift to any-one else and where they live (for ease of pickup), in case there is any-one who would like to come but either doesn't have transport, or doesn't want to drive all that way on their own.

Thanks

Carole

doug

Carole...... if you want to get to our place I will take you and one more .... if they wish  :D

Carole

Thanks Doug, but I'm stopping overnight at my Aunt's in the next village, so I won't even be able to give any-one a lift. 

Can I put you down for a lift for some-one else then?

Carole

RobertM

I live in near the high street in Orpington and could take two or three.  I would prefer local pickup or en-route.

Robert

Carole

Carole

I will be collecting your £10 tomorrow night (AGM) please bring your money those who have booked.

Carole

The Thing

Carole, just to remind you I did tell I couldn't make it after all. Shame 'cos I think it's a great place.

Carole

Yes thanks Duncan I have removed both you and Mark from the list who also can't make it now.

Carole

doug

Carole ............................... did we pay you for this??

Carole

Mike

So what time are people getting down there? is anyone going earlier?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters

Good question, what time where meeting? Main web-site still says details to follow. Confused of Uckfield.

Carole

Just to confirm, every-one was given a leaflet and map which you can use to prove you are with our party (or take a membership card or badge with you).

This is only necessary if you get there earlier than 6pm to allow you to get in without them trying to charge you.  I have also sent a list of names (excluding those who booked in the last few days) and am planning to get there early myself with list etc, so hopefully there should be no problems.

In case you've mislaid it this is a copy of the leaflet (you'll have to find the map on their website)  
Please note what they say about not using the postcode on your SATNAV as it will take you to the wrong entrance:

OAS private visit to Herstmonceux
[/b]
meet at Herstmonceux at 6pm 10th April 2010
The evening will finish around 10.30pm
The following planets will hopefully be viewable through the telescopes (weather and altitude permitting): 7.30 Mercury & Venus, Saturn & Mars 8.15 onwards
Some information from the Observatory leaflet:
All ages and abilities will find something to both entertain and educate from a wide range of interactive hands-on indoor exhibits, to the restored and working historic telescopes and the exhibition 'Domes of Discovery - the story of The Royal Observatory'.  If weather conditions are favourable, your group will view through the historic telescopes.  If viewing is not possible, you will still have a comprehensive tour of the telescope domes.  
Café:  The cafe will be open for teas and coffees, there are also sandwiches, ploughmans, cakes etc
Every booking helps to develop this unique site.  Our friendly, dedicated staff and volunteers will advise and assist you at all times and ensure that your evening is a success, no matter what the weather.

Important Information and Facilities
All visitors to The Centre after dark should pay particular attention to where they are walking and ensure children are constantly supervised. (BEWARE OF THE LAKE IF YOU ARE LOOKING UP AT THE SKY).

Advice from Herstmonceux:

We recommend that warm clothing is worn and visitors may like to bring a torch (red light if possible).
There is ample FREE parking for coaches, minibuses & cars.
The Gift shop is packed with souvenirs, science books and astronomy related items as well as a fantastic range of pocket money science toys.  The shop can be available during your visit if required.
You will be assisted by a dedicated team of staff and volunteers, all of whom are checked through the Criminal Records Bureau and many of whom are registered STEM Sussex Science & Engineering Ambassadors.
The Centre is a NON-SMOKING site.
CCTV is operating throughout the site.

Hope this clarifies things, I check my E mail regularly if you have any further problems and will be at Mike's this evening.

Paul I've E mailed you.

Carole

Carole

I suggest meet at the main entrance at 6pm.

Carole

Delphine

The trip last night to Herstmonceux was really interesting and fun.  They went out of their way to make our visit enjoyable.  I was particularly impressed with the moving observatory floor which took us up to the telescope!

Many thanks to Carole for organising it.

Cheers
Delphine

doug

Well done, Carole, for getting the trip organised.  It was an informative and very interesting visit as were the views through the two telescopes, and it was good fun as well. 

For Rose, the view of Saturn was magnificent and for me splitting Castor into the two stars was magic.  But the whole visit was great. We have been there before but these trips bring it all to life.  I suggest a vote of thanks to the staff who demonstrated everything, as well as sorting us out with teas, coffees and food, should be sent, as well as the organiser.

Rose and Doug.

Mike

A very interesting evening. I can't say I was particularly impressed with the images through the scopes. But I really enjoyed it and especially messing around with all of the experiments in the science centre.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteI can't say I was particularly impressed with the images through the scopes
No neither was I.  Apart from the obvious poor seeing conditions, I have seen really large views of Mars and Saturn through their scopes before which were absolutely stunning, and I am sure they used the main scope and not the secondary guide/finder scope.  Admittedly I saw Mars in 2003 but Saturn was very much larger than that.  I think we were a bit short changed there.

Nevertheless, I thought they were very accommodating and friendly and had the skies been better would have taken us onto M13.

The red lit footpath lighting has been added since I last went down there which detracted somewhat from the dark skies, I guess Health and Safety has intervened, but at least it stopped any-one falling in the lake which I very nearly did on my first visit down there (as I was so entranced looking at the dark sky instead of where I was walking) I am really suprised they don't put a fence around it.  It really is a lovely sky down there on a clear night, and it might be worth thinking about going to their Astronomy festival one September where you can camp in the field (where we parked) for a long weekend.

Would any-one like to do a report on this, I don't feel I should as I was the organiser.  I did take a few notes on the scopes if any-one wants them.

Carole

Mike

I agree that the red light footpath was overkill. If they were smaller and dimmer it would have been better. I was also surprised they left all of the lights on in the Science Centre.

Fay

Yes it was an interesting evening, thanks Carole. I do seem to remember that I was not that impressed with the images before. Shame that the equipment is not looked after enough, not collimated, dirty mirrors, etc, as a lot of people visit the centre, & it would be nice for the public to see what they are supposed to see.
If you have not looked through a telescope, you would not know any difference, I suppose.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Did any-one get any nice photos from this event especially if they show members looking at telescopes etc.  I've got a few of my own but only one with OAS people in it.  I took a few more but they seem to have gone into a black hole.

I've been asked to prepare a presentation for the next meeting. 

If you have any suitable can you E mail them to me please.

Thanks

Carole

Mike

Carole

Thanks Mike, can you E mail me some, particularly ones showing members during the visit. 
Also if any-one has got any of the on hands science exhibits.

Thanks

Carole

Mike

Carole - Images uploaded here :-

http://picasaweb.google.com/EarthshineDesign09/Hertsmonceux#

They have not been edited at all (apart from a 25% resize) so you may need to fiddle with them before use.

Carole

Thanks Mike, I've used a few of them.

Carole