• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter 2nd March with the ETX125

Started by Rocket Pooch, Mar 02, 2004, 18:07:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Draft image of Jupiter last night.

Bagged it at last :smile:

JohnP

Tremendous & you got the GRS as well. Are these with your new camera or webcam?

John

Rocket Pooch

No its with the Vesta 680k and the societies etx with its wibble mount :smile:

I never knew I have so much patience with a mount.  If I put that OTA on my EQ5 I'd be able to get a full 2:30mins on Jupiter at least.

Mike

Chris,

That image is awesome !! I would appreciate the full technical details of how you captured the image and what processing you did please.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi Mike,

I used the Meade ETX125 with a Meade 2x barlow, Vesta Pro 680, Astronomik IR filter.  Taken 23:29 on the 2004-03-02 in my back garden with the football field flood lights on.

I focused on the moons, not the planet.  And then set the web cam to 5fps, no compression, no gamma, 1/50th second and 50% gain and took a 1:38 exposure, I did not take a longer exposure because the mount was jumping about every 1:45.  This gave me 490 frames to play with.  

Then into Registax set the alignment to 17 pixels quality filter 1 - 8, I aligned it with a 128 pixel alignment.  I then aligned only and slid the quality filter down to exclude the highest difference frames (sounds daft) and was left with 432 frames.  Then I stacked them.

Then into Mr Wavelette Filter and set them to approx 10,8,1,6,22,29 then fiddled with the contrast a bit.  No playing with any sharp or unsharp masks.

The size is the same as the raw AVI frames.

Is that enough?

BTW it was -5 when I got in and I cooled the Meade, Barlow, Vest Pro, etc down for 1 and a half hours before use.

[ This Message was edited by: csuddell on 2004-03-02 17:22 ]

Rick

Looks good. What did the intermediate results look like, particularly just before the final filter?

Rocket Pooch

The Raw Frames looked like this: -

Rocket Pooch

Stacked and non-wavelette processed: -

Rick

Right. So the wavelet processing is what's revealing the detail then. Interesting. Any details on the algorithms used? :smile:

Whitters

Chris well done that is fantastic. You should show those images at the next members meeting.

Rocket Pooch

If you guys are brave enough to put up with me standing up there doing a presentation on the planetary imaging then fine I'll do a half an hour session at one of the meetings.

I do have samples from my first attempts to these ones and some others as well.  

I also have some of the other utilities to manipulate the Deep Sky images as well.  Maybe this could be combined with a Photoshop session from Greg?

BTW who is our new leader?

Ian

Paul is now Chairman and Mike is Vice Chairman. I think Mike has a number of vices to be getting along with, but any additional ones will be gratefully received.

Rocket Pooch

All hail Paul!!!!!

All hail Mike!!!!!