• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter Last night!

Started by JohnP, Mar 02, 2004, 01:29:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Hi All, Attached my efforts at Jupiter last night from 'chilly' Bromley. Taken with my Tal-2m at f24 with a Toucam Pro webcam & Baader IRB filter.

Any comments welcome.

Cheers,  John

Rick

240 frames stacked.... Are those collected at 25fps, meaning they represent about 10 seconds total elapsed time, or are they spread over a longer time?

JohnP

Hi Rick,

I captured a 60sec AVI at 5fps. Total = 300 frames. I then sorted & stacked the best 240.

Cheers,  John

Rocket Pooch

John,

Considering how little exposure you had this is really excellent, I'm well impressed.  Did you do the "no compression" thing as well?

JohnP

Hi Chris,

I tried it but to be honest it didn't seem to make any difference. The size of the avi files was the same 'with & without'

John

Rick

What sort of resolution were you getting on the original frames, and what sort of resolution is your processed image, in terms of pixels across the planet's image?

JohnP

Hi Rick,

I imaged with a resolution of 640X480 (for the video frame) The actual image posted is original size - I haven't enlarged it. I've counted the pixels & the planet is about 160 pixels in diameter (give or take a few). I think Jupiter currently extends about 44 arcsecs in diameter so that's about 3.6 pixels/ arcsec.

Cheers,  John

Whitters

Very nice image John. Have you thought about trying to capture the full rotation over a few nights?

JohnP

Hi Paul,

Yes I have & hopefully one day I'll get around to it. I guess its rotation is a little too long to do it in one night?

Thks,  John

Whitters

Yea, I think that a full rotation is arround ten hours, possible but you would be scraping the icicles off your nethers by the evenings end.
I managed about three hours worth whe I had a go and of course the GRS was nowhere to be seen. Intervals of 10 to fifteen minutes are short enough to give a smooth animation. Also you may need a spare hard disk to store all the AVI's :wink:

Whitters

Also don't forget the transit of Venus, a full solar disk and the black spot moving across would mage a good subject for an animation.

[ This Message was edited by: Whitters on 2004-03-02 22:14 ]