• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Skywatcher Explorer

Started by spendrey, Mar 01, 2004, 16:51:00

Previous topic - Next topic

spendrey

I know this isn't really the correct forum but I have a quick question.
I was messing around with my 4.5" Tasco and a Toucam last night and growing increasing frustrated with the results, I've therfore decided to order my new scope today.
I can't afford the Celestron or Meade that I'd really like but can just about scrape together enough for a 8" Skywatcher Explorer on a motorised (HEQ5) mount.
I've noticed on other forums that other people have given favourable reviews of these but was wondering if anyone here has had any experience of them?
This is where I was thinking of getting it from...
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/Astro/skywatcher/reflect.html
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,
Simon.

Mike

It all depends what you want the motorised mount for. You must be realistic - you would be able to get pics of the planets, but that drive won't be up to doing any long exposures of galaxies or anything.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

I've not seen one of these scopes up close, nor looked through one, so feel free to take what follows with a pinch of salt.

Things to worry about are the stability and rigidity of the tripod and mount. You want it not to wobble. Pay particular attention to comments about stability in the reviews. Making a tripod that doesn't wobble is tricky, and I wondered, when looking at the illustration, whether it is solid enough.

Rick

That said, the classic fork-mount Celestron and Meade scopes, particularly the earlier models, could wobble horribly under some conditions.

Ian

If you look in chat, you'll find that Chris want rid of an 8" Orion newtonian. If you need a mount, I have a spare you might like to consider too (it's an eq-5).

I've not seen Chris's scope but it's a variant of mine, and I am more than happy with mine.

spendrey

Many thanks for all the comments guys. I spoke with someone yesterday who has one of these and although he's now upgraded to a C10-NGT he said he was still more than happy with the Skywatcher and recommended it to me, therefore I ordered it yesterday afternoon before I had a chance to see your replies I'm afraid, (just got a bit excited I guess!) I'm now in that frustrating time between ordering and receiving!
Thanks for the info on the drive and mount, I know the aluminium tripod used to be a bit flimsy but apparently it's better now that it's steel, I'll just have to wait and see, I'll let you know what it's like as soon as it arrives.
Thanks for the info on the Orion for sale too Ian and the offer of the mount.
I hope to make it along to the 'imaging the stars' meeting on the 25th so it will be good to put names to faces.

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Go have a look at: -

http://www.angelfire.com/space2/tgtan/equipment.htm

He seems to get on well with one :smile:

spendrey

Thanks very much Chris. I can't wait for it to arrive now!

spendrey

It's arrived!
My wife just phoned me at work to say 3 big boxes have just been delivered.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Rocket Pooch

I expect you to have it out tonight :eek:

spendrey

Hi guys, I'm having problems logging into the forum tonight so this might appear as anonymous.

My new Skywatcher Explorer 200 turned up yesterday and I have now set it up.
One problem though...
It has a HEQ5 mount and I have installed the 8 'D' batteries that it requires and plugged the hand controller in. When I turn it on the red LED comes on but when I press any of the directional buttons it buzzes but there is no movement. Does this sound like something basic that I am doing wrong or do you reckon it might be something more serious?
I'd appreciate any help you might be able to give!

Many thanks,
Simon.

Mike

Sounds like you havent locked the scope to the mount. Are there any levers or knobs that lock it?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Couple of things, on the hand controller is their a colour LED, if so this changes from green to orange (or the other way round) if this happens then your ok.

The buzzing may be the stepper motors, mine clicks at normal speed and kind of buzzez on higher speeds.

The motors move very slowly, even at 8x speed it takes a while to visually move very far.

One thing to try is stick the tube on and select 8x then press either of the direction button and look at the end of the tube, this is furvest away from the drives and will amplify any movement.

spendrey

Ok, I do feel a bit of a fool now!
When I pressed the 2x, 8x and especially the 16x buttons I was expecting to see the scope move quite fast. On closer inspection it does appear that it is actually moving after all it's just that it's barely noticeable, I assume that this is how it should be though?
After having a non-motor driven scope for all this time I was not sure what to expect with the new one! It doesn't help that it came without any instructions and the ones that I've downloaded are not very thorough.
So if this is normal what is the proper way to move to an object in the sky? Should I release the RA and Dec locks and push the scope manually to the object and then use the motor for 'fine-tuning'?
Many thanks,
Simon.
Sorry to ask such a basic question!

Rick

At normal speed an axis is going to rotate just over 180 degrees in 12 hours, so at 16x it's still going to take an axis 45 minutes to go 180 degrees....

spendrey

Thanks Rick, should it have a slewing speed as well as a tracking speed though?

spendrey

Actually, it looks like there is no fast slewing rate as this is not a goto scope, so it's the old manual method for me then!
That's fine I just wanted to make sure I was using it to it's full potential.
Now all I need is a clear night!
Thanks for all your help.

Rocket Pooch

Don't worry about those types of questions, I tend to ask some real howlers from time to time :smile:

Rick

Slewing speeds do seem to be quoted in terms of normal tracking speed, for some reason. Dunno why.

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2004-03-10 13:27 ]