• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M42 and Rosette Nebula 12/12/09

Started by Daniel, Dec 15, 2009, 09:56:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Hi Fay, I Use EOS utility for capture and live view focusing, Really easy to set up multiple exposures.

Daniel
:O)

Fay

Does that come with the camera software?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Fay - Canon capture that comes with the cameras only allows max 30 second exposures.

So really, you just need to junk everything then get a C14 with Hyperstar   ;)

At least then when things go wrong you'll know in 30 seconds rather than 30 minutes  :lol:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

With the 350D, the EOS Utility (supplied on CD with camera) only allows exposures up to a max of 30 seconds, so I use a separate shutter control program but let the EOS Utility auto-downlaod the raw images to a folder on my PC.

However, I may soon be moving completely over to Nebulosity since the latest release allows images to be saved to the CF card  (previously it would only download of images in a huge TIF, or was it FITS, format).

Nebulosity integrates with PhD to do inter-frame dithering - a big win, now I've got it working.

Fay

Mick don't tempt me!!!!!! You know how easily influenced I am :o

Mark I did download Nebulosity this week, a very good manual comes with it, very detailed

Daniel

Eos utility on the newer cameras (400d and above i believe) will allow exposures as long as you like.

RobertM

QuoteEos utility on the newer cameras (400d and above i believe) will allow exposures as long as you like

Fay, that's what's on the disk I gave you last night...

Fay

Thanks a lot Robert.

Is it obvious how you get it going?

mickw

QuoteIs it obvious how you get it going

For some reason, the way your lucks been going, I read that as
................ how to get it WRONG  :lol:

I have my doubts about the Canon utility taking longer exposures.  The version that came with my 400 would not control camera settings as you can do with the 350 so there is presumably a firmware change as well as hardware.
If the utility for the 450 is a different version it may work.

I am too bone idle to compare the 350/400 camera/software at the moment  ;)

Carole

QuoteEos utility on the newer cameras (400d and above i believe) will allow exposures as long as you like
The EOS Utility sofware that came with my Canon 450D does longer exposures, as the ones I did of M42 were 1 minute subs (using that software) and I am sure from the programming as it was set up 00.00 that you could do much longer subs than that. 

Carole

mickw

Hmmm
I wonder if it's the software or the camera that does the long exposure  :-?

I'll have to check to see if there's a software update at Canon.

RobertM

The software allows up to 99 hrs I believe and I can't imagine Canon has done anything else other than just extend the 30s limit.

QuoteIs it obvious how you get it going?

Relatively...