• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Laptop problem.......

Started by Fay, Dec 08, 2009, 12:46:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I sign onto the laptop, welcome screen comes up & I sign on & computer then logs off. Hope this is not serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

sounds more like Windows is making a recommendation.

Sorry Fay, not had that one before, although it might be a broken update. Does it stay logged in if you boot into safe mode?

Fay

Ian, needless to say I am in panic mode!!!!!!!

I was messing about, & Nortons said it was going to sort something & would have to shut it down to do it. So now, it will not stay on. It will go into safe mode. I was reading that anti virus programs get a bit confused sometimes & it may have deleted the userinit in system 32.

I went into safe mode & pressed normal windows login & it just stayed on the flag screen with little progress meter running below, but went no further.

Mac

QuoteI sign onto the laptop, welcome screen comes up & I sign on & computer then logs off. Hope this is not serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have you put the old disk back in?
Assuming you have

just boot into safe mode (F8) on startup and select safe mode.
let it start,
logon as usual and see what happens.

If it does the same then its serious. (it probably wont)
As Ian said, its probably windows making a recommendation.

reboot the machine and see if anything has changed.
let us know how you get on.

Mac.

Fay

Went into safe mode, F8 , clicked Safe mode

it said loading personal settings, I put password in but bottom left says turn off computer.

Turned it completety off
Logged on...but it then logged off

mickw

From past experience with Norton, apart from really slowing the system down, it tends to see everything as a threat (or it used to).

Did you by any chance update anything with Norton just before your problems started, including the camera ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

No was not updating Nortons, but it decided to close the system down & that was that

Mac

fay is this the old or the new disk~?

Fay

Mac

ok, Just sent you an E-mail

Simon E

This sounds like a dodgy disk or a potential XP version of a Blue screen of death. If you can get into it via safe mode then you have a chance, but if you can't :o

Now where is that XP install disk :gaffer:

To be honest with everyone, I never ever used Norton, I use Sophos and have never had a problem with XP.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Fay

Yes I can get into safe mode, Simon, & have a recovery disc, which has XP on

Mike

Hence I don't recommend Norton (personally) or McAfee or any other Windoze Bloatware.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Fay

dont bother.

Just put you new disk in and carry on installing the rest of the software.
you can copy over your old stuff later.

Mac.

I always use nortons, although it is the 2002 versions, with out all the added crap they normally stuff into it.
Never had any problems.