• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hi from rainy kent

Started by Megrez, Dec 03, 2009, 16:13:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

:boom:
Ah ha!

How long has that been there, I have looked at "more" before and didn't see it, unless I didn't wait long enough for it to explode and didn't realise what it was.

Carole

Simon E

i bet u can't find this one

si

or this one

SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Megrez

Thanks Simon
(Sunflowers - how nice)

I live 5 or 10 miles East of you and have no direct lighting, but I reckon I get 15 - 20° of light pollution (visible to the naked eye) to S & E above my horizon (which is itself 10° above the actual horizon to the south, and my house is to the north).  On ISO1600, 18 mm focal length I can only get 30 seconds with my DSLR without starting to go orange.  I would like to think it's dark outside, in reality I can only make out 7 stars in Ursa Minor on a handful of occasions, but I quite often see a vague smattering of the milky way 20° either side of the zenith (at least I did before the rainy season started).

Do you go in for 'sky clarity meters' in OAS?  I met some german guy once, who said his club all bought meters to avoid arguments over how clear the sky was..  He waived his meter at me to demonstrate the point, but I couldn't see a thing (as it was dark).  Sounds like a wizard gadget, but the only ones I have seen cost hundreds.

Aaah yes, the DSC's;  Many years ago, I tried to attend one of these at 'Penny's Field', but all I could find was a camp site full of caravaners and bonfires with no telescopes in sight.  Hopefully I will make it to the new site next time.

Rick

Quote from: Megrez on Dec 10, 2009, 00:14:18Aaah yes, the DSC's;  Many years ago, I tried to attend one of these at 'Penny's Field', but all I could find was a camp site full of caravaners and bonfires with no telescopes in sight.  Hopefully I will make it to the new site next time.

Sounds like you hit the occasion the field was full of hipppies having a festival...

Mike

Yeah we turned up at DSC that weekend too and found it full of hippies. We decided to all decamp down to Woodlands instead for the weekend. One of the best DSC's we've ever had :)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Simon E on Dec 04, 2009, 13:59:58
Welcome mate, they seem like a very nice bunch in the OAS and are very helpful, I got a Free 4 foot tube given to me in a darkened car park last night. :o

I bet you could not walk properly for weeks, Woof!

Or did you meet Flashheart, woof!